Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

angemon89

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 5, 2008
Northern CA
Hey everyone, I need help choosing a good quality camera for my family. I have been wanting to purchase a camera for a while because my parents Sony DSC-T1 takes horrible pictures.

What I'm looking for is a good quality camera that can take great up close pictures and that can take good pictures indoors as well. I would prefer a Sony camera not to exceed $250.

My main concern is with pictures that are taken indoors and up close because this is where my parents current camera fails at life. All indoor pictures come out looking extremely blurry, and I can't take an up close picture to save my life.

What I'm looking for in up close pictures is just to be able to capture surface textures of the things I am photographing, whether it be an up close picture of a flower or something I want to sell on eBay.

I was looking at the DSCw 120 on Amazon, and it sounds nice and all, but all the negative reviews have me worried. Will this camera be able to do what I want it to do??

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
My main concern is with pictures that are taken indoors and up close because this is where my parents current camera fails at life. All indoor pictures come out looking extremely blurry, and I can't take an up close picture to save my life.

Those are called macro photos. If you buy a cheap tabletop tripod ($10 or so from Best Buy) and use the camera's self timer to trigger the shutter, it's pretty easy to get clear macro shots with inexpensive cameras. You're best off turning off the flash too and just going with ambient light as the flash kind of washes things out. For example, from my old Canon SD400 on an el cheapo tripod (it's thumbnailed - click for a larger image):

MooneyFlyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2007
Boston
I'm a fan of any of the Canon Powershot SDxxx models. I've had a number of them (none have broken except for being stepped on, etc.) and get handed down. The picture quality is good, the price is very nice, and they use SD cards.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Sony camera not to exceed $250.

With Point and Shot camera once you pick a brand and a price you've picked your camera.

What you really need is an SLR. Scrounge up another $100 and for $350 you can have a good used Nikon D50.

If yu want a quick fix to your close focus problems buy a #3 diopter. These look like filters and if yu shoot through them you can focus closer. They make adapoter that lat small P&S type cameras use filters.

angemon89

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 5, 2008
Northern CA
Those are called macro photos. If you buy a cheap tabletop tripod ($10 or so from Best Buy) and use the camera's self timer to trigger the shutter, it's pretty easy to get clear macro shots with inexpensive cameras. You're best off turning off the flash too and just going with ambient light as the flash kind of washes things out. For example, from my old Canon SD400 on an el cheapo tripod (it's thumbnailed - click for a larger image):

Wouldn't I be able to achieve the same thing by just placing the camera on a steady desk and using the self timer? I have tried that before and the images are still very blurry up close, in all light situations.

I'm pretty sure it's the camera at this point. I think they chose looks over function when they made the DSC T1.

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
Wouldn't I be able to achieve the same thing by just placing the camera on a steady desk and using the self timer? I have tried that before and the images are still very blurry up close, in all light situations.

I'm pretty sure it's the camera at this point. I think they chose looks over function when they made the DSC T1.

It looks like your current camera has a macro mode. Are you using it? According to this DPReview feature summary for your camera, normal focus goes down to 25cm while macro mode will focus down to 1cm.

angemon89

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 5, 2008
Northern CA
I'm a fan of any of the Canon Powershot SDxxx models. I've had a number of them (none have broken except for being stepped on, etc.) and get handed down. The picture quality is good, the price is very nice, and they use SD cards.
Could you take decent up close pictures with Powershot cameras?

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
For example, from my old Canon SD400 on an el cheapo tripod (it's thumbnailed - click for a larger image):

I'm a fan of any of the Canon Powershot SDxxx models.

I dunno, have a look at the first photo and you tell me. I'm fairly sure I could take a sharp photo with your Sony, providing it has not been damaged in some way. If you review page 22 of your manual, I suspect you could too.

MooneyFlyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2007
Boston

Using the macro mode (the "Flower" setting in the UI) it's not problem. It's designed for small distances down to about 1.4"x1.06". The key is a stable base of some sort.

This stays within your budget. Obviously a DSLR will take better overall photos but the price goes up.

Suspended
Dec 29, 2007
It looks like your current camera has a macro mode. Are you using it? According to this DPReview feature summary for your camera, normal focus goes down to 25cm while macro mode will focus down to 1cm.

Agree with Cliff3. Most of these small cameras take good macro shots. A couple of things to remember. There is a "minimum" focus distance. The objects can't be closer than X (it's different for each camera). You may be too close for your Sony. Also, many cameras require that you go into "macro mode"

Finally, make sure you have enough lighting. Lighting is tricky with macro, as sometimes you get so close, you block your source of light.

If you are looking for a reason to get another camera, then go ahead and get one. Canon's are better than Sony's anyway, IMO. But, you can likely save a couple of bucks by learning how to use the Sony. And, by the way, if you don't learn the above, your new camera will have the same issues, too!

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Out of all the P&S Cameras I've tried, the Canons tend to have the nicest photos with less noise and high quality - for the price.

Here's the one I got for work, a very cheap PowerShot A470 for about $90 and it's still pretty nice comparing to others. Canon tends to be quality across their whole line of cameras - from cheapest to most expensive.

See the pics I took below - both had to be resized for upload... pics taken with no flash at high ISO...

Good luck...

Attachments

• phonepad.jpg
    phonepad.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 113
  • AA-ORD.jpg
    AA-ORD.jpg
    379 KB · Views: 115

angemon89

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 5, 2008
Northern CA
Wow, I had no idea about macro mode on my camera. I was able to take some pretty detailed pictures (thanks mooneyflyer!).

However, I am still looking for a new camera as this one is pretty beat up already. I think I will go to Frys to check them out in person. The powershot line definitely sound like a good buy.

Thanks for all your help guys!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.