Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bluewire

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
Bay Area, California
Here is the backstory...I am looking to upgrade from a point and click camera up to a prosumer model...I'm not looking to "graduate" all the way up to a dSLR quite yet...I do some experience with photography in High School and have always considered it a hobby...finally getting around to pursuing it.

The prosumer cameras I am interested in are the super zoom models. Specifically the Sony H2 or H5 or the Canon Powershot S3 models.

Can anyone shed some light on one versus another for me or if there is another model camera I should thing about?

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Here is the backstory...I am looking to upgrade from a point and click camera up to a prosumer model...I'm not looking to "graduate" all the way up to a dSLR quite yet...I do some experience with photography in High School and have always considered it a hobby...finally getting around to pursuing it.

The prosumer cameras I am interested in are the super zoom models. Specifically the Sony H2 or H5 or the Canon Powershot S3 models.

Can anyone shed some light on one versus another for me or if there is another model camera I should thing about?

The Panasonics get good reviews. I like Fuji's sensors too. I expect that the important things will depend on what you shoot and where. Built-in flash power, optical zoom, image stabilization, etc.

Is it just the size of the DSLRs that you don't like, or is there another reason you're not considering them? The price points are converging, though lens selection tends to make the DLSRs more expensive (hey, that's a feature, right?)

bluewire

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
Bay Area, California
The Panasonics get good reviews. I like Fuji's sensors too. I expect that the important things will depend on what you shoot and where. Built-in flash power, optical zoom, image stabilization, etc.

Is it just the size of the DSLRs that you don't like, or is there another reason you're not considering them? The price points are converging, though lens selection tends to make the DLSRs more expensive (hey, that's a feature, right?)

Primarly, I am not sure I am ready or advanced enough to into using a full blown SLR. Size is irrelevent. Also, as I understand it, super zoom lenses can be as much as a camera and these superzoom prosumers are a good value, relatively speaking.

I took photography in High School more then 10 years ago so I need to refresh my knowledge. The Sony and Canons I have listed have full manual control so I can grow with this camera. And when I'm ready, I can pass this one on as an easy point and click model to my wife or a friend and confidently move up to a DSLR.

Thanks for your thoughts...

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Primarly, I am not sure I am ready or advanced enough to into using a full blown SLR. Size is irrelevent. Also, as I understand it, super zoom lenses can be as much as a camera and these superzoom prosumers are a good value, relatively speaking.

I took photography in High School more then 10 years ago so I need to refresh my knowledge. The Sony and Canons I have listed have full manual control so I can grow with this camera. And when I'm ready, I can pass this one on as an easy point and click model to my wife or a friend and confidently move up to a DSLR.

Thanks for your thoughts...

In auto mode, you won't find much difference in usage between any of the high-end all-in-one units and any of the DSLRs in the same bracket. I don't want to over-advocate the use of a DLSR, but if you're going to get there anyway, then I'd recommend that you do so now and grow into the controls from all-auto mode- that way you'll already start to gain a view on what lenses to get next. In any case, I don't think you can really go too wrong with any of the higher end all-in-ones from any of the manufacturers.

uberfoto

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2006
Between Sony and Canon, remember, proprietary media can be good or bad depending on what else you use and what you buy in the future.

I would recommend jumping straight to a dSLR. In no way should you be intimidated by one, you have to start somewhere and buying a crossover camera "just to learn on" is money poorly invested. You should shoot and learn with a dSLR now and invest the money you would have later spent on a dLSR to purchase a zoom lens. You've now just upped the quality capability of your images/prints 10 fold and invested in something you can really grow into. The sensors in the crossover cameras are the same size as those in the smaller P&S cameras. My opinion on that; if you're going to buy some sort of P&S, you might as well buy a small one that will fit in your pocket because the only thing you are gaining with a crossover camera is more zoom and some manual controls.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.