Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scylax

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2009
Before anyone tells me, I know there are more important factors than megapixels, and I'd love some advice on those too. But anyway...

I'm looking to buy a new camera, and have been researching some high-end point-and-shoot and some entry-level DSLR's and I don't know what to choose. I am a complete beginner, only having taken very basic point-and-shoot pictures on a basic digital camera, but I really want to improve. My camera has broken, and rather than replace it with another cheap compact I want something better.

Most of my shots are of pets, indoors, in not the best of lights. I know I need a good zoom (being disabled and walking oddly it's hard to get close without freaking things out-zoom may not be as good as real proximity, but works). I also want to be able to enlarge my shots if I get good-to A1 maybe-hence the megapixels question.

I need something that's not too complex, and will let me take shots as soon as I get it, but let me learn too. I am worried about the weight and cost of a DSLR, but will look for ways around that if that's best. Please forgive the long post-any advice will be very welcome!

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
just to get this out of the way: an A1 print (~33x23") at 100 DPI requires 8MP. at 150 DPI, you need 16MP. for smaller prints, you'd want 200 DPI+, but you won't be studying an A1 print from reading distance, so you won't need an absurd amount of DPI/MP.

but really, megapixels shouldn't be your primary concern. a 12MP camera with a 24x36mm sensor yields more resolution than a camera with a 4x6mm sensor. so either you go with an SLR system (bulky and expensive) or take the resolution hit (which you probably won't notice coming from a P&S).

if you wanna try out an SLR, stick with the smaller, entry-level cameras, or Olympus.

I dunno much about point-&-shoots, but you can rule out the LX3 since you need more zoom.

the middle ground between the two is the Olympus E-P1 (large P&S form factor with a good-size sensor), if you wanna take a look at that. not sure if the kit zoom is long enough for you, though, but there're all sorts of lenses that can be adapted to it....

rbownes

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2008
Canada
A good choice might be the new Nikon D3000 DSLR which should be coming available soon. Entry level Nikons are very good and the D3000 has a "guide mode". The intuitive user-friendly interface in the Guide mode assists users in choosing shooting modes for a variety of situations and, if they choose, exploring advanced photographic techniques.

pprior

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2007
I routinely printed 8x10 pics with my 10D which was only a 6MP camera. With my 10MP 1dMKIII I print up to 20x30" canvas.

Even the entry rebel now has more than that, so megapixels are not your worry.

The bigger issue is low light performance (may or may not be important to you) and speed of focus and frame rate.

Glass is more important than megapixels.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Maybe it would help you if it had a swivel screen. I think like more the disposition in the Olympus DSLRs than in the D5000.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Take a look at the Canon G11. Its a very nice P&S. Dont go for the G10, altho it has more Megapixels the sensor and the glass is worse than the one on the G11.

They also put back the swivel LCD in the G11. Now this series looks interesting again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.