Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brentg33

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 5, 2007
hey all,
i am looking to get a new digital camera, point and click....something in the $250 and under range....does anyone have any good suggestions on which would be the best one to pick up? i have a friend who has a panasonic he really likes....
thanks
brent

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Depends on the situations you intend using the camera in. If you are going to take a lot of pictures indoors or in low light then a Fuji F30/F31fd would probably serve you well. If you only want to take pictures in well lit situations or outdoors in the sun then almost anything current from a major manufacturer will be fine.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
There's a piece worth reading over at dpreview. It points out some significant lies in the current marketing of many compact digital cameras re: high ISO (low light) mode, and shows example shots taken with various compact cameras in low light. I think it's worthwhile to read, even if you don't think you'll take a lot of low light photos, because it will help you better understand how to make intelligent decisions about buying a compact camera.

The Fuji Finepix cameras seem to be the best performers in low light, as robbieduncan indicated. But please read the article. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.