Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

goodtimes5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 4, 2004
Bay Area
I know there have been a million threads on this topic, but there's just too much variety amongst those threads.

I want a nice ultracompact camera for less than $400, preferably 5.0 megapixels or above. Zoom doesn't matter since it's basically 3x optical throughout. What I'm really looking for in the camera is not only the small size, but a fast response time from when I press the shutter to when the camera actually takes the picture. Any suggestions?

goodtimes5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 4, 2004
Bay Area
How do the Canon Powershots compare with the Casio Exilims? The Exilims seem to be as ultracompact as they can go.

adk

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2005
Stuck in the middle with you
goodtimes5 said:
How do the Canon Powershots compare with the Casio Exilims? The Exilims seem to be as ultracompact as they can go.

I was in the same market a few years ago, and I found the casios to be pretty crappy in comparison to the canons. Think of it this way... How long has canon been in the camera industry, and how long has casio?

MoparShaha

Contributor
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
adk said:
I was in the same market a few years ago, and I found the casios to be pretty crappy in comparison to the canons. Think of it this way... How long has canon been in the camera industry, and how long has casio?
Yeah, I agree. I recently went on vacation with a friend who had the latest 7.0MP Exilim, and I had a three year old 5.0MP Canon S500. I compared pictures we took of the same scenes, at the same time, and I was much more impressed with my Canon.

I just picked up a new Canon SD700 IS, and am still impressed by Canon's quality.

fanbrain

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2005
So. UT
Canons trump the Casio Exilim's. Canons are awesome. Give the SD450 and 550 a try. The screens are not really high resolution, but they take great pictures.

goodtimes5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 4, 2004
Bay Area
I checked out CircuitCity today, and I think I'll go for the Canon SD630. I'm digging the 3" screen. Any thoughts on this camera?

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
MoparShaha said:
Yeah, I agree. I recently went on vacation with a friend who had the latest 7.0MP Exilim, and I had a three year old 5.0MP Canon S500. I compared pictures we took of the same scenes, at the same time, and I was much more impressed with my Canon.

Quality-wise, they take equally impressive photos. You were looking at photos using the LCD on the back of the camera. How could you compare them? I find the Canon LCDs to be better than most others, but I think Sony compacts takes really good photos, sometimes better (or at least more appealing) than my Canon ultra-compact because the colours seem more saturated in some scenes where the photos from my Canon seem a bit dull in comparison. Maybe it's my 12" PB's dull, crappy screen that's doing it, while the Canon's photos are actually quite good. :eek:

Anyway, the Casio should be a good camera. I don't know if the model he asked about feels cheap in your hands, or whether the menu system is as easy to understand, but most of these small cameras are around the same in quality.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
I'm a long time Canon compact camera advocate (I even owned a couple APS ELPHs), but now I'm actually on the fence between the SD600 (want an optical viewfinder and 2.5" vs. the 3" screen) and the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX01S as it seems to do better than the Canon's in low light...

B

MoparShaha

Contributor
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
Abstract said:
You were looking at photos using the LCD on the back of the camera. How could you compare them? I find the Canon LCDs to be better than most others, but I think Sony compacts takes really good photos, sometimes better (or at least more appealing) than my Canon ultra-compact because the colours seem more saturated in some scenes where the photos from my Canon seem a bit dull in comparison.
I compared the photos on my computer.

Sony does make good cameras, but I find their point & shoots to be too simple in their controls. Canon cameras offer more ability to manually control shooting. Also, the increased saturation can probably be attributed to more aggressive image processing in the Sony. I wouldn't take that as an indication of better quality. Any photo can be increased in saturation, and if anything, I prefer the more "naked" processing of Canons.

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
balamw said:
I'm a long time Canon compact camera advocate (I even owned a couple APS ELPHs), but now I'm actually on the fence between the SD600 (want an optical viewfinder and 2.5" vs. the 3" screen) and the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX01S as it seems to do better than the Canon's in low light...

B
The image stabilization on the Pannys is great! I would never buy a camera without OIS ever again. =)

The images from the FX-01 is a bit noiser than the Canons, it's something to keep in mind. As for low light, it is good because of the IS, but because the pictures are noisy, action shots in low light isn't so good.

Nevertheless, the FX-01 is a very nice solidly built camera =) Feels and looks good.

ScubaDuc

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2003
Europe
goodtimes5 said:
I know there have been a million threads on this topic, but there's just too much variety amongst those threads.

I want a nice ultracompact camera for less than $400, preferably 5.0 megapixels or above. Zoom doesn't matter since it's basically 3x optical throughout. What I'm really looking for in the camera is not only the small size, but a fast response time from when I press the shutter to when the camera actually takes the picture. Any suggestions?

I have been using Nikon grear forever but for an "all in one" I would recommend the Lumix LZ2 or the newest one (even better since the zoom is 10x) with optical stabilizer. Won't belive how much of a difference it makes...

Obsidian6

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2006
Laguna Niguel, CA
I dont have a ultra compact digital camera, yet, because i've only got those big bulky professional ones with those big lenses that have a red stripe on the front.

anyways! lol,

my Father has the Panasonic Lumix FX-9 and that is a sweet little camera, i used it quite a bit. then just recently my Mother got the FX-01, which is equally sweet, i would take the 01 purely because it has a 28mm lens, i find that to be more versatile. at their time of purchase, both cameras were had for under $300 from Beachcamera.com

worth a look! i highly recommend both cameras, and this coming from a guy who only shoots Canon Professional gear.

weldon

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2004
Denver, CO
I just bought the SD600 and I absolutely love it for quick snapshots. It's a small camera and Canon makes a great leather case that fits it like a glove (still very small). I can fit the camera (in the case) into my pants pocket.

The pictures have been very good. I haven't played with all the settings yet, but it seems to work just great. You will want to buy a larger SD memory card to go with it though.

I was able to get mine for $250 shipped through Dell (with sale pricing and $35 off $300 coupon). You can buy the Dell coupons on eBay for $1.00. The case is $15 and a 1GB SanDisk Ultra II card is $50. Spare batteries are $15-$35.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.