Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wakerider017

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 20, 2006
US of A
Not sure what card I need for my D40 for optimal performance... I want something that will be able to handle the full potential of the camera. (I anticipate doing a lot of rapid shooting. I like to wakeboard so you have to shoot (rapid fire) pretty fast to catch a trick.)

Not sure if the buffer in the camera is enough where card speed matters or not...

Just looking for some guidance. Oh ya, I am looking for a 4GB card so I can take a bunch of photos at once when I am on vacation.

In the meantime I will be using a regular 2GB SD card that is like 133x.

onomatopoeia

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2007
Not sure if the buffer in the camera is enough where card speed matters or not...

The buffer is more important than the card in most cases.
This is a topic that sees much debate on the Internet but the speed of your SD card really has little bearing on the process of saving an image file. At the D40's rate of fire the buffer will manage without difficulty.
Speed of the SD card can sometimes matter when uploading images to your Mac.

Look for SD cards with the best combination of price and a reputation for reliability before worrying about speed.

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
I've been using a SanDisk Ultra II SDHC card; it's 8GB but they make 4's... handles my body's 3fps unlimited hq jpegs without a hitch. I shoot in raw, tho and 6 frame buffer is the max, just like the L1 manual says. It's only a class 4 SD card but without a body that shoots 5 or 10 fps I can't tell the difference and it's a lot cheaper than a class 6 SD card is.;)

wakerider017

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 20, 2006
US of A
I've been using a SanDisk Ultra II SDHC card; it's 8GB but they make 4's... handles my body's 3fps unlimited hq jpegs without a hitch. I shoot in raw, tho and 6 frame buffer is the max, just like the L1 manual says. It's only a class 4 SD card but without a body that shoots 5 or 10 fps I can't tell the difference and it's a lot cheaper than a class 6 SD card is.;)

I found these two Class 6 cards on Amazon... I am guessing Class 6 would be more than adequate?

8GB
http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-8GB...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1209172244&sr=8-1

4GB
http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-4GB...2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1209172244&sr=8-2

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
Not sure about that brand name... probably a good value but you get what you pay for. They can tweak the performance results to say whatever the consumer wants to hear, but I would check some reviews and real life tests before assuming you're getting that sweet deal for real. Class 6 is the fastest perfomance and you should be paying at least $150 for an 8GB SDHC class 6 card that is worth a darn.;)

I would feel safer recommending one such as this one which is tried and tested to be the real deal in durability and high speed. A little more, but an Extreme III will not let you down- I have a 2GB and it is the fastest card I own.

wakerider017

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 20, 2006
US of A
Not sure about that brand name... probably a good value but you get what you pay for. They can tweak the performance results to say whatever the consumer wants to hear, but I would check some reviews and real life tests before assuming you're getting that sweet deal for real. Class 6 is the fastest perfomance and you should be paying at least $150 for an 8GB SDHC class 6 card that is worth a darn.;)

I would feel safer recommending one such as this one which is tried and tested to be the real deal in durability and high speed. A little more, but an Extreme III will not let you down- I have a 2GB and it is the fastest card I own.

Thanks for the recommendation!

I just picked one up! Got the SanDisk 4GB Extreme III for $18 after rebate... Heck of a deal!

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
Not sure about that brand name... probably a good value but you get what you pay for.
Just for information ;) Transcend have been around for c.20 years. In my experience, they offer excellent value for money and more than compare with the more popular (and more heavily advertised) makes.

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
Sandisk has a nice rebate for their higher end cards. I got 2 4GB Extreme III cards for $120, then I'll get a $70 rebate on them bringing the total out of pocket expense to $50 for two high speed cards.

The extreme III has the best rebate (it makes it cheaper than even an Ultra II after it's rebate in most cases). Your camera won;t be able to use all that speed, but it will offload to your mac faster.

And adorama has the cards cheaper than even I got them for.

SLC

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.