Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tbluhp

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 6, 2006
The simple way to uninstall an app is to hit delete, then trash, then empty. However, It leaves files behind in the library and users' libraries.. Thee use to be an app that did this but I think Apple Removed it.

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011
Hazel's App Sweep feature does this for me, though I purchased Hazel primarily for its file automation chops.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
If an app comes with an installer, then it also comes with an uninstaller (or at least it should), that should take care of everything.

Other apps can be uninstalled with one of a number of 3rd party apps, neither of which are perfect (when it comes to finding and deleting stuff in ~/Library or /Library or elsewhere). Most of the time though the "remains" are negligible in size, so I rarely care all that much.

I've had mostly good experience with AppZapper in the past, but not used it for a while...

Last edited:

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
The following is one of the best and is used by many forum members. I have been happy with it.

I also use App Cleaner. It's a small, simple and relatively old app but it does the job.

Apple officially says you're just meant to delete the app from /Applications, but I still use App Cleaner as I feel more comforted seeing a list of preferences and library files that it'll also trash.

But then, I'm someone who regularly swipes up apps in iOS which one also isn't meant to do, so maybe I'm prioritising neatness and order over actual performance and necessity :)

njvm

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2018
AppCleaner has always worked well for me - highly recommended.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
To do the cleanest uninstall:

1. Use the apps' uninstaller.

2. Use a removal app such as appcleaner. It sometimes doesn't get everything, but it is the best alternative if (1) is not available.

Reactions: Apple_Robert

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
To do the cleanest uninstall:

1. Use the apps' uninstaller.

2. Use a removal app such as appcleaner. It sometimes doesn't get everything, but it is the best alternative if (1) is not available.
In regards to AppCleaner, sometimes it will show all the folders and files but, it won't automatically tick every box or file for removal. If a person doesn't pay close attention, AppCleaner won't get what is listed. And as you mentioned, AppCleaner still may not get everything 100% of the time. I just wanted to mention about making sure all the boxes were ticked for any new installing AppCleaner for the first time.

Strepitus

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2020
I manually go into Application Support and delete app remnants then do a clean install ever so often. Worked fine so far.

Big Bad D

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2007
France
In regards to AppCleaner, sometimes it will show all the folders and files but, it won't automatically tick every box or file for removal. If a person doesn't pay close attention, AppCleaner won't get what is listed. And as you mentioned, AppCleaner still may not get everything 100% of the time. I just wanted to mention about making sure all the boxes were ticked for any new installing AppCleaner for the first time.

Pay attention before ticking all boxes, especially if you are uninstalling for example one app but have other apps from same developer, or if uninstalling an older version of an installed app. Better to leave a few unnecessary remnant files installed than to have to reinstall inadvertently deleted files.

Reactions: jive turkey

excelsior.ink

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2020
I found AppCleaner to still leave traces behind, most of the time under /private/var/
So, what I do is manually do a search for files related to the app, e.g.:

sudo find / -path /System/Volumes -prune -false -o -iname "*docker*" -print 2>/dev/null

and manually remove anything I think it's related to the app. The problem complicates if there are also agents/kernel/system extensions involved.

And then also edit in a text editor /Library/Receipts/InstallHistory.plist and remove the app entry (if present).

I do not have an universal method, I simply got experienced with cleaning apps. I am not using any system modifiers or 3rd party uninstallers anymore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.