Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

frontsideair

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2023
My criteria:
- Universal app, so it works both for iOS and Mac (Apple Silicon please)
- Uses Content Blocking API (for efficiency)
- Blocks YouTube ads (if possible)
- Single content blocker (some blockers I tried couldn't fit their lists into one, so you had to enable many)
- Single payment, no subscriptions (I have to trust them they won't sell my info or use "acceptable ads"
- Unobtrusive updates (I'm using AdGuard begrudgingly now and when it updates it opens a popup asking me to close Safari, to which the answer is always no)

tornado99

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2013
just use Opera. it's the best designed browser on OS X with a built in ad-blocker. tab management in groups is unbeatable. a simple list of vertical buttons on the left side to switch between tab groups.

frontsideair

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2023
Haven't used Opera for a long time, but I tend to stay away from software with crypto stuff and free VPN as a principle. It's kinda sad to see Opera evolve to that.

frontsideair

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2023
I read on the homepage that it comes with a crypto wallet preinstalled. And it would be weird if VPN couldn't be turned off, but I believe if you're not paying for something you're the product and if there's free VPN it most likely means that your data (or metadata) is being sold. I can keep it turned off, but if there are features that I don't use, then it means it's bloated for me.

Nigel Goodman

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2017
UK
Note sure this is what you want but I use a combination of three extensions. Wiper: removes most ads and white space. Vinegar: stops YouTube ads. Stop The Madness: blocks trackers. They all work in MacOS and iOS.

frontsideair

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2023
I was super hyped about Wipr but it seems like it's not a universal app so I have to purchase for each platform separately. (Explained in the FAQ.) Also when I dug deeper into the FAQ looks like it works with 3 blockers, which I didn't want but it's acceptable. On the other hand, there's a 4th "extra" blocker for YouTube ads, which is important to me. Still it seems like the best one that checks the most boxes.

By the way, what do you mean by white space?

Nigel Goodman

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2017
UK
I was super hyped about Wipr but it seems like it's not a universal app so I have to purchase for each platform separately. (Explained in the FAQ.) Also when I dug deeper into the FAQ looks like it works with 3 blockers, which I didn't want but it's acceptable. On the other hand, there's a 4th "extra" blocker for YouTube ads, which is important to me. Still it seems like the best one that checks the most boxes.

By the way, what do you mean by white space?
Some ad blockers remove the ad but leave an empty (white) space where the ad was. Wipr removes those spaces (on the web sites I go to).

frontsideair

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2023
@Nigel Goodman Got it, sounds like something trivial but I like it. Thanks!

@VaderRulez Forgot to mention this is happening on desktop Safari. I'm also feeling uneasy since it's free, I explained this in my above comment about Opera.

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
My criteria:
- Universal app, so it works both for iOS and Mac (Apple Silicon please)
- Uses Content Blocking API (for efficiency)
- Blocks YouTube ads (if possible)
- Single content blocker (some blockers I tried couldn't fit their lists into one, so you had to enable many)
- Single payment, no subscriptions (I have to trust them they won't sell my info or use "acceptable ads"
- Unobtrusive updates (I'm using AdGuard begrudgingly now and when it updates it opens a popup asking me to close Safari, to which the answer is always no)

Have you thought about a Raspberry Pi + Pi-hole? Among other things, it won’t use any resources on your devices, you own the entire setup forever, it isn’t a surveillance capitalism product, and it’s a single, standalone solution for your entire network.

frontsideair

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2023
I've known of Pi-hole for a long time but didn't consider it for my situation. My impression of it is that it's cool that it runs for the whole network, blocks in-app ads and doesn't bog down the devices that I use. But the drawbacks are pretty significant too; I have to dedicate a device to it, it doesn't block same-site ads (which are increasing due to the existence of DNS based blockers) and I don't feel comfortable running the entire network through a single point of failure. (It can fail, or it can get compromised by various means.) Also, it seems like it cannot block YouTube ads.

I could consider running both Pi-hole and a separate blocker on my device, but the whole single-point things makes me reluctant to do so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.