Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trjwv

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 24, 2010
kentucky...Go Cats
I am looking to purchase a Nikon brand USA wide angle lense and/or a telephoto lense for my D5000 Nikon. I currently only have a 55-200 VR USA Nikon lense. I am open to suggestions to other brands but would like to know why. If only price point, I prefer Nikon.
Thanks

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
By the sound of it you're a beginner who is in need of a standard zoom. Get the nikon 18-55 VR and be done with it.

Edit:

Wait, what do you actually want?! Wide angle OR telephoto? What do you want to take? What's the budget?! How wide, how long?!

Nordichund

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
Oslo, Norway
"I would go with the Nikkor 35 1.8 for a wide lens."

Interesting definition of a wide angle lens for a digital camera.

I just bought the Tokina 12-24 lens. I can't say a bad thing about it.

windowpain

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Japan
Why is that?
because with the crop factor (1.5) it isn't a particularly wide angle. Acting like a 50mm lens on a full frame camera.

Its a really nice lens (I have one) but its not what I would call wide either.

If you are wanting a wide angle lens, I would recommend the 10-20mm Sigma.
Probably not as good as the nikon, but a lot cheaper.

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
The OP really hasn't made it clear what he wants, for all we know he's using the same strange definition of 'wide'.

"wide angle lense and/or a telephoto lense" is pretty ambiguous.

glocke12

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2008
I have a nikkor 12-24 that works really well on my D90. Its actually my main walkaround lens.

spice weasel

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2003
Since it is a D5000 it isn't a full frame camera? So it would still be a 35mm?

No. On the D5000 it would act like 35mm x 1.5 = 52.5mm. That's not a wide angle lens. For what it's worth, I wouldn't consider 35mm on a full-frame camera wide either.

To the OP: You should think about what and how you plan to shoot and then decide on whether you want a wide-angle lens or a telephoto that goes longer than your current one. Shooting with a wide-angle can be a lot of fun, but it is difficult to compose interesting shots. If you like to shoot architecture, then it is a good choice. It can work well for certain landscape shots as well. Other than that, you have to get pretty creative to make your photos look interesting. It can be done, and to great effect, but it is more difficult.

For what it's worth, I have the Sigma 10-20 and I like it a lot.

RHVC59

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2008
Eugene, Oregon
"I would go with the Nikkor 35 1.8 for a wide lens."

Interesting definition of a wide angle lens for a digital camera.

I just bought the Tokina 12-24 lens. I can't say a bad thing about it.

+1 The Tokina 12-24 is a great lens... and relative inexpensive in comparison to Nikon lens anyway.

or

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.