Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xJus10x

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2004
I'll start off by saying I've been looking for a hobby for awhile now. I've always been interested in photography, and after reading http://reviews.cnet.com/best-prosumer-dslr-cameras/?tag=contentMain;contentAux I'm only more confused. I want something that will last awhile so spending $200 more for something that will last a couple years isn't really that big of a deal. Would going with a D5000 over a D3000 really make a difference?

And lastly, can you guys recommend a beginners guide - be it book or online guide. Overall I'd just like help selecting a camera and then a reference to a complete beginners guide. Finding where to get accurate information is the hardest part!

JackHobbs

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2009
London
I cannot comment on the Nikon choice as I have a Canon 50D, which I am very happy with, and I have two/three lenses. Once you have bought a few lenses it becomes very expensive to swap.

What I can recommend once you have made your choice however is the Magic Lantern guides, which are the handbooks that you wished your camera came with.

I would also recommend the Ken Rockwell website. Love him or loathe him, he does have a lot to say on Nikon SLRs. The site may help your decision.

Good luck.

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
The D5000 is a much better camera than the D3000, it's questionable that it would make any real difference to your photographs, it depends how much into things like noise and chromatic aberration you are. It's a generation newer technology.

Ken Rockwell is loathed by many, and pilloried as a joke of a photographic writer, but I rather enjoy it articles. Perhaps take him with a pinch of salt, particularly if you do not appreciate when he is being unserious.

All current DSLRs are fine, generally the Canons seem a bit more high-tech at any given time, but that doesn't mean they are better than the Nikons. The image quality is swings and roundabouts, and many people do not like the way the low end Canons feel in their hands, nor how the controls are laid out. Pentax, Sony and Olympus, all make good digital SLRs, and none of the current models are real dogs, all capable of taking good pictures. You could not make a bad choice really.

xJus10x

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2004
Thanks all for your responses, I will most definitely read everything recommended. I can't wait to get started!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.