Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RedDragon870503

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2006
I want to preface this by saying YES I have searched Google and I do know all of the technical specifications and features of the respective cameras I am looking at. I am merely seeking advice as to which suits me best.

I recently sold my XSi. I was happy with the picture quality but found myself running into many issues with the buffer size as well as the build quality (I started bringing it everywhere and it was taking a beating).

I shoot mostly athletics, low light (starry) landscapes and people. I am not paid for my work but enjoy making prints as gifts and art for around my home.

I have a nice Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 that I plan on keeping. I also plan on getting a Canon 50 f/1.4 (or sigma) as well as a Canon 15 f/2.8 Fisheye.

(obviously not included in my $1300 budget)

I have narrowed it down to these three cameras:

Canon 1d Mark II (used)

Pros: The high FPS I'm looking for, the full frame sensor, the amazing build quality.

Cons: upper end of my price range (I found one for 1299, but would still need to buy a CF card) heavierish use

Going to be at the high end of my price range.

Canon 5d Mark I (used)

Pros: Every example shot I see of this body is absolutely stunning, everyone calls it the gold standard. Good build quality.

Cons: Slow.

Canon 50D (new)

Pros: Fast, found a "like new" one locally for $1000 which is nice, solidly built. Latest and greatest (for the time being)

Cons: I would really like to get into FF for landscapes and portraits.

Do what you do best and give me some advice!

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I got blessed with an awesome deal on a 20D (a much, much lower budget obviously). I'm glad I got it instead of a slightly used Rebel - great big difference in the two product lines.

I would go with a FF used in your case of $1300...

clams

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2009
I would recommend that you would go with either a 40D or a 50D mk 1. Go with the 40D over the 50D because of the cleaner images. If you really want to get into the wide angle scene, the ef-s 10-18mm would get most of your jobs done with the crop. Also, there's a Sigma 4mm if you want to get into the real extreme stuff.

I personally have shot with both cameras and found that the features and ergonomics of the 40D seem to be more desirable than the 5D, except for the 5D's massive and bright viewfinder. The 40D's 6.5fps is also much faster than the 3fps of the 5D making sports photography much easier. The money that you would save getting a crop would definitely give you more room to get nicer glass.

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
I shoot mostly athletics, low light (starry) landscapes and people. I am not paid for my work but enjoy making prints as gifts and art for around my home.

I have a nice Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 that I plan on keeping. I also plan on getting a Canon 50 f/1.4 (or sigma) as well as a Canon 15 f/2.8 Fisheye.

(obviously not included in my $1300 budget)

I have narrowed it down to these three cameras:

Canon 1d Mark II (used)

Pros: The high FPS I'm looking for, the full frame sensor, the amazing build quality.

Cons: upper end of my price range (I found one for 1299, but would still need to buy a CF card) heavierish use

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the 1D2 is NOT full frame. A 1DS MKII with about 60K on the shutter is still going to run a little less than a 5D2 body. There is no way you will find a 1DSMKII for less than 2 grand in decent shape.

Even a 1DS will run 1100, the first full frame digital camera made, well maybe other than the kodak slc/n 14 (what ever it was called, they had a nikon and a canon mount..)...

I think you mean a 1D2, which has a 1.3 crop factor and cannot use EF-S or AP-C lenses.

I am at the point where i will probably pick up a 5D at some point this year. I had a 30D, then now i have an XSI after taking 2 1/2 years off. I actually dont mind the small size, and i don't really shoot sports..although I am going to an airshow at the end of the month...

RedDragon870503

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2006
I see. My mistake. The 1.3x crop factor will still be a significant step up from the 40/50?

I am glad I asked!

Is my Tamron 28-75 compatible with the 1d mk2?

coachingguy

macrumors 6502a
I just got a 50d refurbed from BH for $1004 shipped 2 day. I'm thrilled. I battled the 40d v. 50d dilemma for weeks, even posting here. Ultimately I decided it was more future proof than the 40d, which is still a great camera for the money.

I shoot both nature/wildlife and sports. I was told for the nature/wildlife the 50d was the way to go, for sports the 40d... I read everything I could comparing them. I went to respected camera shops and asked questions and played with both.

Go with the 50d, you'll not be disappointed!

Coachingguy

ProwlingTiger

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
40D. Used, less than $700, invest in more glass or accessories.

Sorry, I can't see going 5D for sports. It only shoots 3 frames/sec. In my view, the >6 frames/sec outweighs full frame. I've used both and settled with the 40D. Never have regretted it, though I hope to pickup a 5D MkII for architecture and landscape some day.

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
40D. Used, less than $700, invest in more glass or accessories.

Sorry, I can't see going 5D for sports. It only shoots 3 frames/sec. In my view, the >6 frames/sec outweighs full frame. I've used both and settled with the 40D. Never have regretted it, though I hope to pickup a 5D MkII for architecture and landscape some day.

A good photographer doesn't need frames per second for sports :p

These are with the 5d and 50mm f/1.8 (very slow lens) in low high school gym light. With that said, if it was just sports, 1d all the way. He also mentioned landscapes though...

main.php

main.php

RedDragon870503

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2006
Thanks for all the advice. I decided to go with the 40D, picked up a refurb for 699.

I think full frame is going to have to wait. Also, the price of the 50D didn't seem to be worth the extra cash over a 40D.

With the 40 I'll get the frame rate I was looking for, the ergonomics, build quality and from what I hear will provide a slightly better image than the XSi.

I was looking at a 1D Mk 2 on eBay for $849 but it was too beat up and didn't offer enough over the 40 to risk the extreme use.

Posted a link if anyone is interested!

http://cgi.ebay.com/CANON-EOS-1D-MA...a6fea1ad&_trksid=p4295.c0.m299#ht_1826wt_1158

ProwlingTiger

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
A good photographer doesn't need frames per second for sports :p

These are with the 5d and 50mm f/1.8 (very slow lens) in low high school gym light.

A good photographer also knows when to use a sports lens :D

Funny, as I used that lens for a sporting event recently as well, wasn't planning on shooting sports.

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2003
Thanks for all the advice. I decided to go with the 40D, picked up a refurb for 699.

I think full frame is going to have to wait. Also, the price of the 50D didn't seem to be worth the extra cash over a 40D.

With the 40 I'll get the frame rate I was looking for, the ergonomics, build quality and from what I hear will provide a slightly better image than the XSi.

I was looking at a 1D Mk 2 on eBay for $849 but it was too beat up and didn't offer enough over the 40 to risk the extreme use.

http://cgi.ebay.com/CANON-EOS-1D-MA...a6fea1ad&_trksid=p4295.c0.m299#ht_1826wt_1158

Good move with the 40D. The 50D is straight up bad design. dpreview has indisputable conclusive proof that the 50D's noise at 800 ISO and higher is much, much worse than the 40D. It was a step backwards in design. I'll be shooting with the 40D for a while... until used 5DmkII's become cheap ;)

ProwlingTiger

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
Good move with the 40D. The 50D is straight up bad design. dpreview has indisputable conclusive proof that the 50D's noise at 800 ISO and higher is much, much worse than the 40D. It was a step backwards in design. I'll be shooting with the 40D for a while... until used 5DmkII's become cheap ;)

Same here. Made no sense in my mind to go with a 50D. I'm actually waiting for the rumored 60D, hopefully sometime early next year.

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
well, it's a bit late now that you've picked up a 40D, but the 15mm fisheye is pretty useless on 1.6.

your focal length choices don't make much sense to me for any format, given what you shoot...

coachingguy

macrumors 6502a

How can you say that? The camera's are basically identical physically. 40d owners claim a better camera, 50d owners claim a better camera. To each their own, I guess.

Coachingguy

FX120

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2007

I'd take your left over money and invest in a 10-22 if you're interested in doing landscapes. It's a fantastic lens, and really lets you make up for the lack of a FF sensor.

Also, you're probably going to want to invest in a decient tripod at some point.

Obsidian6

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2006
Laguna Niguel, CA
the 40D is a great all-around camera, I picked one up not too long ago for about $700 w/ the grip and 2 batteries. I've put it through its paces shooting volleyball and it performed exceptionally well. I don't regret my purchase at all.

However, I've not owned a 1.6x body since the 10D, so it took a little getting used to to re-acclimate to that small viewfinder again. In the past I've shot with the 1Ds a 1DmkII a 5D and more recently a 1DmkIII, I gave up my 1DmkIII (one of the best low light and sports cameras available in my opinion) in trade for a new 5DmkII which has been an exceptional camera in its own right.

Oh and while it is more difficult to shoot sports with the 5D, it's not impossible by any means you just have to be good a tracking your subjects and predicting movements.

I was shooting the 5D with the 24-70 attached and the 40D with the 70-200 f/2.8 and that combo was excellent.

Have fun with your 40D, and keep an eye out for price drops on the original 5D, it's a wonderful camera still.

RedDragon870503

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2006
I received my 40D.

I am blown away by the quality, speed and AF. What a step up from the XSi. I am going to look for some lighting and some more versatile (10-22 or a 16-40L, 85 prime, 70-200L) glass next! Thanks for the advice! I definitely made the right choice!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.