Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
Original poster
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I'm heading out into the field to document some archaeological sites and I'm shopping for a camera bag. What I'm looking for in particular is a tough soft case that can be slung on the body and easily withdraw and replace the camera - almost like a holster.

I'll be using a Canon Digital Rebel XT (350D) with an EF 17-85mm lens, one extra battery and a couple CF cards. That's it. No fancy kit, just one lens. My focus is on a lightweight, mobile but reasonably tough case that won't flop around if I'm hiking, climbing, or on a small boat. Waterproofing is a bonus but not mandatory.

The camera lives in a Pelican case during transport to the field, but in the field it would be nice to have something better than just my daypack to carry it in. Any nominations?

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
Original poster
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I was more or less defaulting to the LowePro cases, they seem decent enough. The Ortlieb cases are interesting though, especially the optional harness system. It probably looks goofy but is very convenient. :D

Thanks for the link.

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
i have a LowePro Fastpack 350 and really like it. I have hiked 5-6 miles at a time with it thus far.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.