Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

inafog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2024
Clemmons, NC
I am interested in a way to export and import my mother's old recipe's (a Hypercard stack). I have started copying content from the individual cards one by one and pasting in a MS OneNote notebook and then saving as a pdf document. Is there an app in which I can import the pdf? Or is there a better way? How is the best way to save these recipes? Thanks!!

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Can you view any of them in a web browser (like, if you could export to HTML)?

I ask because Paprika is really very good at parsing and importing recipes. Once that's done, you can sync them to iPhones, iPads, Macs...

edit: just found this, which might work if you wanted to go down this road https://www.reddit.com/r/Cooking/comments/g8hxmj

Whatever you do, recommend you keep the PDFs for archival purposes since it's a family thing. Might even print them out for very long-term storage.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

The most important thing is to "get them out of Hypercard" and into some other application that is easily readable by modern OS's and software.

Interesting what Blair reported above.
...Because I had been fooling around with SheepShaver over the last few days, and had finally got it working on this 2018 Mini (using Mojave).

So... I started SheepShaver and opened Hypercard Player.
But... Hypercard Player offers no way to "export" a stack into a text file or anything else.
However... I did find that if I saved a copy (I chose to save a copy of the Address book), and then moved it to Mojave, I could open it with TextEdit and "look around". Unfortunately, trying to "extract" the data from everything else doesn't look that promising.

I'm not familiar with MS OneNote.
Does it work like "a scrapbook", with each recipe as a separate, "copy-able" entry?

What I would do is open up some kind of word processor -- MS Word, Pages, etc. -- and start copying/pasting the recipes into that.

The idea is to get them "into a modern document/file".
From there you can do whatever you wish with them.

Printing out each one, perhaps saving them in a loose-leaf binder, might be a good idea.

inafog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2024
Clemmons, NC

I ask because Paprika is really very good at parsing and importing recipes. Once that's done, you can sync them to iPhones, iPads, Macs...

edit: just found this, which might work if you wanted to go down this road https://www.reddit.com/r/Cooking/comments/g8hxmj

Whatever you do, recommend you keep the PDFs for archival purposes since it's a family thing. Might even print them out for very long-term storage.
Thank you so much! I have just learned (found instructions via Google) that I can export a OneNote notebook structure and pages in HTML format. So, theoretically it will work!! I will do some experimenting and then get started with my cut and paste exporting the Hypercard Stack to OneNote. Thanks again, and I'll report back when I have success!!

Reactions: ignatius345

inafog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2024
Clemmons, NC
Thank you so much! I have just learned (found instructions via Google) that I can export a OneNote notebook structure and pages in HTML format. So, theoretically it will work!! I will do some experimenting and then get started with my cut and paste exporting the Hypercard Stack to OneNote. Thanks again, and I'll report back when I have success!!
Just saw your link to the reddit page, so I'll also share the page I found, in case it's helpful for anyone else: https://www.onenotegem.com/a/documents/mac-onenote-batch/2021/04/mac-export-to-html.html

Reactions: ignatius345

inafog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2024
Clemmons, NC
I'm actually using Sheepsaver right now to emulate Hypercard and copy the information off the cards and then I paste into OneNote. The link above is to a utility called OneNote Gem. That utility is what enables me to batch export the structure and pages from OneNote to a folder on my Mac in HTML format. The utility costs $18 and seems to work well. Thanks for all the help.

inafog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2024
Clemmons, NC

OK, I have managed to get my test OneNote cards exported in html. I'm a newbie with Paprika and haven't figured out how to import the html to Paprika. I feel like it's simple process, but I'm not finding it. Thoughts? Thanks!

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
OK, I have managed to get my test OneNote cards exported in html. I'm a newbie with Paprika and haven't figured out how to import the html to Paprika. I feel like it's simple process, but I'm not finding it. Thoughts? Thanks!
Try this:

1. Open the HTML file in a web browser (I'm using Safari for my test here, on a local HTML file I saved off a recipes website, just to confirm it works.)

2. From the Share menu, pick Paprika

Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 2.27.10 PM.png

3. Paprika will launch and show the recipe import, which you can double-check, edit, add categories, etc. before it happens. Hit Save and you're done. The recipe will now show up in your Paprika database and sync over to any other machines you have it running on.

Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 5.03.02 PM.png

note: If you're not seeing Paprika there, and you've installed the app, then double-check your sharing extensions (System Preferences > Extensions > Share Menu) to make sure it's activated:

Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 2.29.03 PM.png

If it was me, I'd also hang on to and archive the HTML files as they're likely to stay readable for many many years to come.

Last edited:

inafog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2024
Clemmons, NC
Try this:

1. Open the HTML file in a web browser (I'm using Safari for my test here, on a local HTML file I saved off a recipes website, just to confirm it works.)

2. From the Share menu, pick Paprika

View attachment 2335408

3. Paprika will launch and show the recipe import, which you can double-check, edit, add categories, etc. before it happens. Hit Save and you're done. The recipe will now show up in your Paprika database and sync over to any other machines you have it running on.

View attachment 2335467

note: If you're not seeing Paprika there, and you've installed the app, then double-check your sharing extensions (System Preferences > Extensions > Share Menu) to make sure it's activated:

View attachment 2335409

If it was me, I'd also hang on to and archive the HTML files as they're likely to stay readible for many many years to come.
I will certainly hang on to the HTML files. In the meantime, I am not finding, nor understanding how to add, the Paprika Extension. I'm using Mac OS Sonoma v.14.2.1. When I go to share the file, Paprika is not an option and I can't see how to add it. Thoughts?

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
I am not finding, nor understanding how to add, the Paprika Extension. I'm using Mac OS Sonoma v.14.2.1
Have you installed the Paprika app for Mac and gone to your sharing extensions as decribed in my post earlier?

If so, and it's still not appearing there's ONE weird quirk which I just discovered. When you hit "share" in Safari, you have to pick the collaborate setting or Paprika won't appear. No idea why!

Screenshot 2024-01-12 at 8.01.10 PM.png

Last edited:

inafog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2024
Clemmons, NC
Which Browser are you using? I do not have the “collaborate” option in Safari. Thank you so much for your continued help!

Charlie

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.