Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dooinwell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2020
Hi there,

I've been building an app that helps make a single elderly parent safer and provides "proof-of-life" to the rest of the family, in a way that tries to be as respectful of the parent's privacy as possible.

It's an iOS-only app and I made use of some cool iOS tech ?:
- Critical Alerts ?(notification that shows and makes a sound even on a device in Silent or DND mode)
- Siri Shortcuts for the elderly parent to check-in or request your help hands-free from an HomePod
- Watch OS complications for you to double-check the parent's status and make sure you have not missed an alert ⌚️

I just launched a TestFlight beta and it would be really cool if some of you with a single elderly parent would be interested in testing it. I've been building it as I wanted it to be for my own family and really looking forward the feedback of other users.

The full description is available on this website: https://www.dooinwell.app (and you can directly request access to the TestFlight beta). Both you and the parent needs to own an iOS device (iPhone SE or newer).

This will be a paid app in the future but of course beta testing is free and will be free for several months of testing at least.

Thank you ?

Last edited:

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Although I don't meet your requirements for beta testing, it sounds like a nice idea. Some details you may want to include are what device requirements are needed for the parent, i.e., iPhone minimum version. Are you also saying that it won't work with the Apple Watch for the parent? With the new functionality of not requiring a phone to use the Watch, that might limit some potential users.

Edit: Your website looks really great!

Reactions: dooinwell

dooinwell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2020
Thank you Namara for sharing feedback!

Some details you may want to include are what device requirements are needed for the parent, i.e., iPhone minimum version.
That's a good point, I edited my post with these details.

Are you also saying that it won't work with the Apple Watch for the parent? With the new functionality of not requiring a phone to use the Watch, that might limit some potential users.
You're right that at the moment the WatchOS app is only for the relatives, not for the parent. The parent app does expose notification actions thought, which allows to check-in from the watch, but it's limited to this single function.

I will very likely work on a parent Watch OS app in the future. I must say I have got mix feelings on using the Apple Watch with my own mother so far: obviously fall detection is a great feature, but I feel that overall the device usage by seniors remains a bit challenging because of the small form factor. But as you mentioned, looking forward to see the impact of Family Setup on the Watch adoption by older adults.

Edit: Your website looks really great!
Thank you ☺️

Reactions: 0128672
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.