Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael Adams

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2020
Hey everyone. I know I'm new here as a user, but have been here on & off as a lurker. My wife is a former Apple employee, and I grew up using the pre-MacOS hardware (more a WinLin guy now); I've had to do my fair share of MacOS support in IT. Anyway, I started working for ZeroTier last week, and they have an app on the App Store for using their software. I'm trying to gather some more feedback on how people are using it and also making folks aware of some additional support resources.

Thank you!

hobowankenobi

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2015
on the land line mr. smith.
I am unfamiliar with ZeroTier. Looks interesting. Do you have any SMB or small org use cases or reviews you would recommend for folks to consider outside of enterprise use...to get a good understanding of use and benefits?

Michael Adams

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2020
I am unfamiliar with ZeroTier. Looks interesting. Do you have any SMB or small org use cases or reviews you would recommend for folks to consider outside of enterprise use...to get a good understanding of use and benefits?

I used it two jobs ago as a site-to-site VPN; the Meraki setup they had in place wasn't very good, and it let them get into doing some Cloud stuff too; also used it to remote manage some machines we sent a client. The job before now, I used it to link together some third-party devs to us, and as an OpenVPN replacement. When I made that Reddit post the other day, a few folks came up with some similar use cases; a lot of folks use it for remote-accessing machines, setting up Minecraft/Terraria/whatever LAN games, and I've seen an IoT case or two used.

Other use cases & HOWTOs my peers have documented

Reactions: hobowankenobi

Michael Adams

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2020
Checking back in with folks. The team's finishing up a 1.6.0 release; I've spent the past month on a bunch of different things & corralling things for us to look at. Any other questions or concerns? Our Knowledge Base has more on it now, but I admit we still need more documentation posted. Thanks!

Reactions: hobowankenobi

Michael Adams

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2020
How do I setup ZeroTier on a Mac with Apple Silicon M1 cpu?
You'll need to file a bug on https://github.com/zerotier/ZeroTierOne/issues asking for an ARM64 MacOS build. I know the dev team is mostly Mac users, so they probably are working on it already, or at least have it on the agenda. I don't work with them anymore, so couldn't tell you for sure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.