Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
Hi folks,

I'm wondering if anyone has this lens and looking for feedback:

Pentax DA 55-300 F4-5.8 ED lens
http://www.henrys.com/webapp/wcs/st...rtmentId=10404&categoryId=11802&itemID=234756

I currently have this lens by Sigma:

70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG MACRO
http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/lenses_all_details.asp?id=3303&navigator=3

It's a good lens - macro shots are great, but I find the results weaker at near to full zoom. It's just not as sharp as I think it could be.

I had the Pentax 50-200 lens which came as a kit, but I traded that in for the macro feature of the Sigma, plus the small jump in extra zoom. The 200 lens was sharper. My rookie mistake I guess you could say.

Anyhoo, I might just trade in or sell the Sigma to get the 50-300, but looking for user feedback so I don't make another mistake :)

Cheers,
keebler

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
I have the Sigma (gold ring) and it is a bit soft at 300mm (which sucks because macro is only at 300mm).

So I find it pretty poor for macros, but action - soccer and surfing in my case it's not so bad. However I notice my best shots are at 70-200mm, and 300mm not bad for surfing when stopped down, sharpened and mounted on a tripod as close as the breaking waves permit.

Try shooting at around f9.5 and < 200mm it improves.
What are you shooting?

If it was me (if I could warrant the purchase), rather than spending all that money on the DA 55-300mm, I'd save up and try to pick up a used DA* 200mm f2.8 which is said to be very sharp (and weather sealed! :D). You could keep the Sigma handy when you need convenience.
You aren't going to get a great amount selling your Sigma (maybe $100 US).

Here's is a users opinion on the DA 55-300mm
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=28229184

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
I have the Sigma (gold ring) and it is a bit soft at 300mm (which sucks because macro is only at 300mm).

So I find it pretty poor for macros, but action - soccer and surfing in my case it's not so bad. However I notice my best shots are at 70-200mm, and 300mm not bad for surfing when stopped down, sharpened and mounted on a tripod as close as the breaking waves permit.

What are you shooting?

If it was me (if I could warrant the purchase), rather than spending all that money on the DA 55-300mm, I'd save up and try to pick up a used DA* 200mm f2.8 which is said to be very sharp (and weather sealed! :D). You could keep the Sigma handy when you need convenience.

thanks for the feedback and linky.

i'm shooting kids sports, wildlife and scenery for the most part. I have used the macro feature a few times to snap pics of insects and flowers, but i don't use it regularly.

I know i won't get much for the Sigma, but I need any trade-in value I can get to combine with some saved cash to pay for the new lens.

I did find a used 50-200 for about $100 USD, but it sounds like the reviews and feedback about the 55-300 warrant the extra cost.

i'll keep you posted for the fun of it :)

thanks again,
keebler

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Canada

What are you shooting?

Hi Reef,

I ended up buying this lens and trading in my Sigma - trade in value was pretty much what you thought. I needed the money so away it went. I may miss the macro feature, but we'll see.

I like the 55-300 so far. I haven't tested it outside yet given we're in a major cold snap (-30C and below ) these days here in Canada :)

Maybe next week :)

Thanks again for the link and thoughts.
Keebler

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
Congrats!
Be sure to post in photo of the day! or even attach some crops here.

I doubt you'll terribly miss the macro feature, I find it such a pain having to zoom into 300mm, then needing a tripod - I miss heaps of shots.

If you haven't already, pick up an old M 50mm f1.4 or f1.7 and get some cheap extension tubes to give you close focus.

TheReef

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.