Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TonalFreedom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2009
Philadelphia
I've worked mostly with film in the past but recently i've gotten more serious about digital black and white and have been trying to teach myself photoshop. I have CS3 currently and am looking for some good literature to help me use photoshop more to my advantage, specifically for b&w photos.

I have a couple of books from "Lark Books" on digital b&w but if anyone knows of any good books on CS3 or just on b&w digital in general I'd love to hear about them. My use of photoshop at this point is fairly basic, and I mostly have been just using the channel mixer to convert my color photos to b&w. I haven't done much at all with layers, which is probably where my skills are most lacking, so i would really appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks!

radhak

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2003
NJ, USA
Me Too :)! Same boat as you, trying to learn post-processing.

Without going too much tangential, a question to add :
I have seen a bunch of sites that offer for purchase software programs or macros ('Actions' in PS) that do specific things to pictures - like clean up skin texture, or convert to black-and-white. Anybody have a review/comment about the relative merits about those offerings? I am talking about sites like http://www.gettotallyrad.com or software like Portrait Professional. (I may not even know what others are out there).

I am trying to gauge if doing all that myself by learning PS (or whatever) would be better, or will any of these provide most of the functionality. The age-old question of build vs buy :).

PeteB

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2008
a good place to start might be to look for some books by Scott Kelby. They're usually clear and easy to follow. You'll learn lots - or enough to start digging deeper.

valdore

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
Kansas City, Missouri. USA
You'd be surprised....

if you have a cheap discount used book store within reasonable distance, check it out. They almost always have books pertaining to stuff like this.

I've picked up a few at Half Price Books on the cheap. Never got around to reading them of course, but they look nice sitting in my book case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.