Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LillieDesigns

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 18, 2005
Los Angeles
Hello everyone.

When I first entered the world of photoshop a few years ago, I remember an overabundance of photoshop tutorial sites, but none of them were GREAT.

I have seen some amazing results from photoshop and really love the more surreal type of photo-manipulation.

Basically, I'm not looking to make a cool avatar on a website, but turn a picture of the beach into a surreal dreamlike image.

I hope someone understands what I'm saying, so any help would be fantastic.

Thanks!

isleofjib

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2007
CT
i can't help you do what you're asking, but have you looked thru the itunes podcasts? there are plenty of tutorials on there for photoshop.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Hello everyone.

When I first entered the world of photoshop a few years ago, I remember an overabundance of photoshop tutorial sites, but none of them were GREAT.

I have seen some amazing results from photoshop and really love the more surreal type of photo-manipulation.

Basically, I'm not looking to make a cool avatar on a website, but turn a picture of the beach into a surreal dreamlike image.

I hope someone understands what I'm saying, so any help would be fantastic.

Thanks!

The Adobe web site has some basic videos that show off the features. and then there is http://www.lynda.com They have a lot more but the quality is mixed. Some are basic overviews of the tool palets and some show some new ideas. It's mixed quality from just OK to pretty good. They charge $25 per month for unlimited video streams.

But it soounds like you already know PS well enough and just want advice on how to get an effect you want. For that the forums are the best. Can you describe the effect or link to some examples. Forums are good if you have very specific questions like that.

Looks like you have the hardest part already -- a vision of what you want

Father Jack

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2007
Ireland
The Lynda.com tutorials are quite good and you can pick them up on eBay for a few quid (sorry that's £ GBP for non UK members)

waynesun

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2006
PSDTuts.com is a great resource for web-related graphics tutorials, and i'm positive that they have some pretty great photo manipulation tutorials in there.

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
PSDTuts.com is a great resource for web-related graphics tutorials, and i'm positive that they have some pretty great photo manipulation tutorials in there.

I've learned some neat things from good-tutorials.com but yes another vote for Lynda.com

GooglEyes

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2008
San Diego

I second that! PSDTuts is the best FREE PhotoShop tutorial site that I have ever seen. There are some truly amazing techniques and the tuts are very well written and easy to follow.

A few of the earlier tutorials include free downloadable .psd files of the finished piece that you can use to re-create the file or just explore to learn from the masters. (The newer tutorials require a $2.50 US payment to download the file, but you don't actually need it to learn the techniques.)

Here's one on lighting effects that is well-suited for creating a surreal looking photo effect:
http://psdtuts.com/photo-effects-tutorials/super-slick-dusky-lighting-effects-in-photoshop/

Have fun! :)

zdobson

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2007
Indiana
This is a great book: Photoshop for Photographers

I haven't gotten too far in it yet, but it's been great so far. My aim is a little different than yours, though b/c I'm a journalist. I'd flip through it in the bookstore to see if it looks like it addresses your issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.