Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Funkatation

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 29, 2001
Current camera: an old canon digital elph 2MP camera

I am starting to get into photgraphy again, and am looking for a new camera to take family and vacation photos for now, maybe more later. My current camera is pretty old (3-4 years) and is VERY slow. I want above anything else, a camera that is fast. i.e. when I hit the button it takes a picture (my current one seems like 10 seconds) zoom and size are important. I know I do not need a DSLR. My 2 current prospects are Canon SD700 IS, and PowerShot S3 IS. My gut feeling is to go for the S3 because of the larger zoom, but the SD700 is very attractive because of its size. Continuous shooting mode is somewhat important too. I will most likely keep it in Auto mode until I get more comfortable with using the camera. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Do you think I will miss the 12x zoom if I get the SD700?

Thanks in advance...

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
it comes down to size. yes its nice having a 12x zoom, i have a 10x and its nice for traveling but for an everyday camera its a pain to lug. I'm looking into getting an SD600 or SD630 for snapshot use. If thie size doesn't bother you get the S3, its worth it IMO, if the size bothers you get the SD700.
have you read reviews on both? check out http://www.dpreview.com

Super Macho Man

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2006
Hollywood, CA
Funkatation said:
I want above anything else, a camera that is fast. i.e. when I hit the button it takes a picture (my current one seems like 10 seconds) zoom and size are important. I know I do not need a DSLR.
For what it's worth, no non-DSLR digital is "fast." There are only those that are "less slow" than others. If you want instant response, a DSLR is your only choice. The two P&S cameras you listed are only fast relative to what you have now. They're still slow and suck at any kind of action. The S3 in particular, IMO, is a camera designed to appeal to the "ooh, 12, that's a bigger number, I guess I'll get that one then - hey, what does it mean by the way?" crowd. Not that it's a bad camera of course.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
^^Yeah, but you know what he means. My point and shoot camera focuses quickly and shoots quickly, even relative to a DSLR, because DSLRs need to focus as well.

Panasonic makes a DMC LZ3 and LZ5 that have 6x optical zoom. I've used the S3 as well, but it's not really as compact, and worst of all, it's a bit too heavy if all you want to do is have a camera that's handy.

Oh yes, look into the Samsung NV7 OPS. Nicest looking cameras on the planet, and they're super slim. They also have a 7x optical zoom, according to DPReview. HERE

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
Abstract said:
Oh yes, look into the Samsung NV7 OPS. Nicest looking cameras on the planet, and they're super slim. They also have a 7x optical zoom, according to DPReview. HERE

Thanks for the heads-up, Abstract. I'm in the market for a pocket-sized camera, and the Samsung looks great. I'll be in Tokyo next week, hopefully I can pick one up there while traveling. Any ideas how big that zoom lens is, and how far it might stick out from the camera? I'd hate for that to compromise its portability too much, since that's really what I'm looking for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.