Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

prabhathilina

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2018
I'm hoping to buy "Apple iMac 21.5''/2.3DC/8GB/1TB for my video editing works. Because its the machine suites for my budget. And i'm looking for recommendation that, is this 21.5 iMac good for editing?support with 2k video & Davinci Resolve, Avid media compose, Premiere CC. is perfectly woking with this softwares?

jerwin

Suspended
Jun 13, 2015
no, not ideal, no.
not enough memory
not enough cpu cores
slow hard drive
video card is comparatively slow.

playing $200 more gets you twice the cpu cores, and twice the opencl performance.

and, yes, the apps you've chosen really will reflect this. (Assuming that they aren't bottlenecked by the hard drive, and memory availability)

Last edited:
Reactions: Glmnet1

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
You don't want a platter-based hard drive, either.
Just TOO SLOW, for much of anything.
Particularly editing videos.

Get a small SSD inside, then use an external USB3 drive (preferably another SSD) for project storage.

Reactions: Glmnet1

Glmnet1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2017
I agree with both recommendations above and have to add that, once you add the almost necessary upgrades mentioned the 27" iMac price isn't that far and offers much better value IMO.

It's probably far from your budget at that point though so maybe you can consider buying refurbished?
There currently isn't any refurb iMac available but if you wait you could get a refurb iMac 27''/3.4 4 cores/8GB/256 SSD for ~$1600 vs $1499 for a new iMac 21.5''/3.0 4 cores/8GB/256 SSD. You'd be getting a much bigger screen, a better GPU and user upgradeable RAM.

Also, WWDC is in 5 weeks. It might be a good idea to wait and see if they refresh the iMac. You would probably get better value for your money.

jerwin

Suspended
Jun 13, 2015
It may be that the best use of your tight budget would be to buy a low end, dual core, intel HD equipped, 8 GB imac 21 with an apple supplied SSD instead of a hard drive. There have been mentions of people happily editing footage on a MacBook using Final Cut Pro. It wouldn't be ideal, by any means, but it would be the upgrade that makes the most difference.

Premiere makes somewhat different hardware demands.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.