Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
I've got a few shared drives and hard drives, I'd like to know what's on them when I'm not on that network or at that location. I understand I'd have to mount the drive to get the data to sync.

I only need the filenames and folder names (and filesize?). I could have a backup drive in my safety deposit box, I want to know what's in it without having to drive to the bank.

I need the networked drives the most, so if it doesn't work with USB drives, that's okay.

I'm looking and searching and finding all sorts of results, but everything I find wants to sync the files not just the file names. WAY back in the day it seemed to me we had software to index all our floppy disks, this seems like the next logical step.

I'd hope the app would also search for me, telling me the location of files.
(It'd be nice to be able to search all the locations, even when connected!)

Any suggestions?
Gary

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
Something like DiskCatalogMaker might work for you. It works well, looks good, and is popular.
That looks great, I'll check it out! A free 30 day demo too!

find /volume -print > volume.list
That's what's I'd have done if I needed to. But I was hoping more than just a script that's got to navigate the whole tree every time. I'm hoping an app will be a bit more versatile...

Thanks!
Gary

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.