Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mettwurst

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2018
Basel, Switzerland
Hello everybody

I'm trying to keep it short as I'm already a week off.

I would like that if I start bootcamp on my external SSD, which can keep my eGPU connected and Windows does not crash when booting, because it does not get the power management.

Windows I got on it according to this video on my Samsung X5, on it:

It has gone far, everything works. Windows is now running.

But now I want to connect the eGPU, but this has problems enough power to get.
What is noticeable in the "Device Manager" with Error 12.
In addition, I can not bootcamp partition even if the eGPU is connected.
It only flickers the screen.

Later I came across this video.

However, the said drivers can not be installed because the installation says that the drivers are already installed.
I have no clue whats the cause of this.

Here are my specs:

- Mac Mini 2018, 3.2GHz Intel Core i7
32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB
- Razer Core X.
- Radeon RX 580, in the eGPU
- Actual Windows 10 with all updates

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I've heard with respect to the MacBook Pros that disabling unused hardware in Device Manager can solve this
Like unused Thunderbolt, web cam (obviously not relevant to the Mac Mini), microphone, ethernet maybe - Anything that takes PCIe lanes.

Mettwurst

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2018
Basel, Switzerland
I've heard with respect to the MacBook Pros that disabling unused hardware in Device Manager can solve this
Like unused Thunderbolt, web cam (obviously not relevant to the Mac Mini), microphone, ethernet maybe - Anything that takes PCIe lanes.

Yesterday I tried to switch off individual devices. Unfortunately, however, Windows is now hanging in the boat screen and I'll have to set it up completely new.
I've turned off the internal SSD, since this is not used in Bootcamp.

It would be nice to know which devices I can switch off without breaking Windows itself.

But why do I have to do that at all? my eGPU has its own power supply and would even provide power through the TB cable to the Mac Mini. I do not quite understand that anyway.

I'm wondering if a Thunderbolt dock would solve that problem?

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
It would be nice to know which devices I can switch off without breaking Windows itself.

Sorry, I really don't know enough about Windows to answer that.

But why do I have to do that at all? my eGPU has its own power supply and would even provide power through the TB cable to the Mac Mini. I do not quite understand that anyway.

It's not about power. It's about data bandwidth. macOS intelligently routes data badwidth to where it is needed.
The CPU only has so many data lanes available (think of it as lanes on a motorway). macOS routes the connected devices through so only the devices that need the bandwidth go on the highway and take up the bandwidth they need. And it can even keep data in queues so all connections can be active at once, at a slowdown, but still working.

Within Windows, it doesn't quite work the same way. The eGPU will request a lot of data lanes, and all the other connections and devices will say to Windows that it can't give that many data lanes to the GPU, because then they woouldn't have enough themselves, even if they don't technically require all those lanes or are even active at all.

That's at least why this fix works for some people, but since Windows isn't my forté I can't say for sure that it's exactly what's going on in your case, just that it has worked for others.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.