Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Woodrow72

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 16, 2008
Utah
I have posted quite a few times on these forums now, so I return to you again with more questions.

I have been photographing for about 3 years now and haven't been able to stop since i picked up the camera. I started going to school for photography earlier this year, and the vast amount of informations I have learned in that short time is just a drop in the bucket to what the industry has to offer.

To the point: I bought an SB-600 flash last night for my D90, I love it so far but realized I dont know the first thing about using this flash on my camera or off (I do know how to make it fire off camera but thats about it)

I am wondering if you all on these forums can recommend some books and or websites where I can learn about lighting and how to use my flash. It will be about 6 months before I can take the studio class at my school and I dont want to wait that long to learn.

Thanks in advance for all of your help!

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
I have posted quite a few times on these forums now, so I return to you again with more questions.

I have been photographing for about 3 years now and haven't been able to stop since i picked up the camera. I started going to school for photography earlier this year, and the vast amount of informations I have learned in that short time is just a drop in the bucket to what the industry has to offer.

To the point: I bought an SB-600 flash last night for my D90, I love it so far but realized I dont know the first thing about using this flash on my camera or off (I do know how to make it fire off camera but thats about it)

I am wondering if you all on these forums can recommend some books and or websites where I can learn about lighting and how to use my flash. It will be about 6 months before I can take the studio class at my school and I dont want to wait that long to learn.

Thanks in advance for all of your help!

If you read only one book on flash photography, make it 'The Hot Shoe Diaries' by Joe McNally. He's a master of using speedlights to their absolute maximum.

http://www.amazon.com/Hot-Shoe-Diaries-Light-Flashes/dp/0321580141

Also, watch these training videos, and you'll be well on your way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.