Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I've got the Harmony Hub from Logitech, and it works 'most of the time'. Occasionally, something doesn't work well, and everything has to be power cycled, but for the most part it seems to be working. EXCEPT it seems to love, out of the blue, to turn on both the U-Verse box, and the Blu-ray player. Nothing has changed in the setup of the Harmony.

So, the big question is: Is there a 'better' remote to control multiple brands of AV equipment?

I like the Harmony because it works well with the various brands of equipment I have (plus it's a radio connected remote), but it's not perfect. I know it's probably chasing the unobtainable, but I'll ask anyway: Is there one remote to rule them all, one remote to bind them, one remote to bring them all and in the darkness provide entertainment? Or am I chasing unicorns and rainbows...

Thanks...

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
I've got the Harmony Hub from Logitech, and it works 'most of the time'. Occasionally, something doesn't work well, and everything has to be power cycled, but for the most part it seems to be working. EXCEPT it seems to love, out of the blue, to turn on both the U-Verse box, and the Blu-ray player. Nothing has changed in the setup of the Harmony.

So, the big question is: Is there a 'better' remote to control multiple brands of AV equipment?

I like the Harmony because it works well with the various brands of equipment I have (plus it's a radio connected remote), but it's not perfect. I know it's probably chasing the unobtainable, but I'll ask anyway: Is there one remote to rule them all, one remote to bind them, one remote to bring them all and in the darkness provide entertainment? Or am I chasing unicorns and rainbows...

Thanks...
There are several better remotes, but unfortunately you need to hire professionals to program them because the companies involved don’t make the software generally available.

I use an MX-990: https://www.universalremote.com/

Other examples are Crestron, Control4, and RTI

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Could something else be causing the devices to turn on?

It's just pushing the 'ATV' button on the remote, and both the ATV, and the Sony Blu-ray turned on. The player is not unplugged, and everything works fine. Either I've been hacked, or the player is going nuts.

d.steve

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2012
Unless the 'ATV' button is programmed to turn on those devices, it sounds to me like HDMI-CEC is triggering the devices to turn on.

Try turning off CEC on the TV and see if the problem goes away. If you need CEC on the TV for some reason, then try turning CEC off on the bluray player.

FWIW, I'm really happy with my Harmony Hub. I always liked it, but now I freaking love it since adding it to homekit with homebridge-harmony (https://github.com/nicoduj/homebridge-harmony).

Reactions: QuarterSwede

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Unless the 'ATV' button is programmed to turn on those devices, it sounds to me like HDMI-CEC is triggering the devices to turn on.

Try turning off CEC on the TV and see if the problem goes away. If you need CEC on the TV for some reason, then try turning CEC off on the bluray player.

FWIW, I'm really happy with my Harmony Hub. I always liked it, but now I freaking love it since adding it to homekit with homebridge-harmony (https://github.com/nicoduj/homebridge-harmony).

But I go back to the 'I didn't change anything' idea. Obviously *something* changed. Hmm...
[automerge]1582136124[/automerge]
Oh, and the Harmony app doesn't run on Catalina. Nice fumble on Logitech's part there...

d.steve

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2012
Well, yeah, it was either always that way or something changed. You can either just keep saying "but nothing changed" or you can get past that and try to do something about it. Your choice.

Just use the Harmony app for iOS/Android/whatever. The Mac app was pretty awfu, and being able to control it from your phone/tablet is one of the benefits of the harmony hub.

Reactions: QuarterSwede

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
I've had a Harmony smart Hub or whatever they're calling it now for years, even added a second for my master bedroom, and never had it accidentally turn on another device unless I screwed up something. HDMI-CEC is most likely the culprit if you haven't changed anything in the Harmony app. I also recommend using the iOS or Android app. It's actually pretty good. For the price there is simply nothing that competes.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Well, yeah, it was either always that way or something changed. You can either just keep saying "but nothing changed" or you can get past that and try to do something about it. Your choice.

Just use the Harmony app for iOS/Android/whatever. The Mac app was pretty awfu, and being able to control it from your phone/tablet is one of the benefits of the harmony hub.

I will look into doing that. The last time I 'programmed' the hubs, I used a USB cable, and the app. I don't remember what the password is for the hub, and found the Harmony iOS app to be a screaming joke. Maybe they fixed it. I was going to wait out Logitech and see if they will come up with a new macOS app. That may never happen.

It's possible that something updated automatically (the Bluray player) that has caused the issue. *shrug* I don't use discs nearly as much as I used to. Why have a player anymore... Thanks...
[automerge]1582208163[/automerge]
I've had a Harmony smart Hub or whatever they're calling it now for years, even added a second for my master bedroom, and never had it accidentally turn on another device unless I screwed up something. HDMI-CEC is most likely the culprit if you haven't changed anything in the Harmony app. I also recommend using the iOS or Android app. It's actually pretty good. For the price there is simply nothing that competes.

I keep telling the 'worse half' that this is the best bang for the buck. Yeah, it's possible that something updated automagically and caused this. I'm not up on HDMI-CEC, and probably have relied on that feature without realizing it. It's pretty awesome that the TV can sense there is stuff coming for it, and turn itself on and display it. If I understand it. Turning that off would mean relying on extenders to supply the IR signals to operate the system. I'll dive in to the system and see what's happening. Arg... My favorite thing to do...

robnbill

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2007
Northern VA - Fairfax Area
I use an iOS app called Roomie Remote: https://roomieremote.com
This was the original name - switched to SimpleControl - and now back to RR.

We have used it since it first came out - and this version (V6) is probably the best so far. You can control most, if not all A/V devices, via IP - or IR if needed (you would need to purchase an IR emitter module).

V6 added support for HK devices. This version made it much easier to program than prior versions - which were not very difficult to start with.

We use if for our A/V systems (3). Pretty much 'bullet-proof.' It is a subscription-based service - see the link. I think the prices are reasonable. I would rate this as a 5 - EXCEPT that the developer only provides support for what he decides are bugs. Frankly, I've usually have been able to resolve issues on my own. You would think the Roomie Remote user forum would help. No - well, maybe - the user forum is moderated by the developer - and your post may not get posted if he decides it's a 'normal' tech problem. Thinking of opening up a user forum of Reddit.

That's the issue I have with the app. I would think - given the annual fees - you would get support. The developer's answer seems to be - find an installer. I bought this as DIY deal - I will not spend money on an installer - and good luck finding one.

Most of the tech issues you could have is turning on some brands of TV's -- e..g., Sony and LG -- using the WOL Wake-On_LAN command via the app.

Don't be scared by my comments - I was just venting on the downsides.

The other remote that looks really good 'on paper' is Caavo: https://caavo.com/products/caavo-home-theater-kit I like it - but, I believe it does not pass-though or handle Dolby Video - that's a show stopper for us. It controls thru the HDMI posts.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Oh, and the Harmony app doesn't run on Catalina.
I will look into doing that. The last time I 'programmed' the hubs, I used a USB cable, and the app.

I was pretty bummed about the lack of Catalina support. However I'm almost at the point of preferring the IOS app.

One of my devices (an Oppo) keeps losing HDCP. To reset I have to go to devices, select it, hit its' home button, then go back to activities where for that activity I have one that selects the correct input port.

I decided to add a "Home/set port" activity. Previously I would avoid making the change since it was such a pain to bring up the app, connect the cable, make the changes and sync. Now I can just do it on the fly using the app. Much simpler, as I'm continually fussing with the activity screens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.