Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MichaelBarry

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 14, 2009
London
I enjoy taking photos but I don't always want to have a to carry a backpack or suffer a big bulge in my pants ;) because I have a camera with me. I normally shoot on 35mm anyway.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me the smallest/thinnest/most portable digital camera on the market today.
I don't want suggestions of those little 'toy' cameras sold a rest stops or obscure cameras sold by weird asian brands. EDIT: or mobile phones with good cameras thanks.

It would be very helpful if the suggestions were reputable brands. I am aware of the Sony Cybershot cameras that are very slim but are they the only ones out there? and do they come any smaller rather than thinner.

I normally shoot on 35mm which is why I want a digital camera to carry with me when I'm just at a friend's house or a party where I don't want to be the 'photo-guy' ya know?

thanks.

jackerin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
Finland
Something from Canon's IXUS line or the new S90, maybe?

Do you have any feature requirements in terms of zoom/sensor or is it just smallest possible?

MichaelBarry

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 14, 2009
London
Do you have any feature requirements in terms of zoom/sensor or is it just smallest possible?

There are no requirements at all really. perhaps below £150 would be nice but it's not vital and if it would take SD cards would be a bonus because I already have a few cards.

but to be honest it's just the size that I'm concerned with I'm just assuming that all camera's these days are over 4 megapixels? :)

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Casio and Nikon have some 100g digicams.

But those are not the ones with the least pixels.

You can find some 120g Pentax and Canon cameras from 2007 with 7MP.

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
To paraphrase Chase Jarvis... The best camera is the one that you have with you, so for example if you have a smartphone with a decent camera like an iPhone then use that even though it may be somewhat challenging (especially in low light with the iPhone). I find even with the smaller point & shoots I have that I rarely bring those with me unless I am purposefully bringing a camera, which defeats the point as in that case I would just bring the DSLR. it is different for women as they just throw their P&S in their purse but that doesn't work for us guys.

ronjon10

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2009
To paraphrase Chase Jarvis... The best camera is the one that you have with you, so for example if you have a smartphone with a decent camera like an iPhone then use that even though it may be somewhat challenging (especially in low light with the iPhone). I find even with the smaller point & shoots I have that I rarely bring those with me unless I am purposefully bringing a camera, which defeats the point as in that case I would just bring the DSLR. it is different for women as they just throw their P&S in their purse but that doesn't work for us guys.

Ditto. I bought two different point & shoot cameras thinking I'd like to have a kick around camera when I didn't feel like bringing the DSLR. After the second one, I realized I either wanted the big camera or no camera.

I have been using the iphone more, even to the point where I use it when I have the big camera with me. I've found good shots with the iphone because it's always on hand.

Still though, if you want a rec for a good small camera, I'd vote for the new Canon S90 as well. The form factor is actually too small for me as I fumble it out of my hands using it one handed, so I prefer the G series. I think the G series is bigger than you had in mind though.

NightGeometry

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2004
Nowhere near the smallest digital on the market, but I can only recommend the EP-1. It isn't small enough to fit in the average pocket, but - it fits in a (my) jacket pocket, and the side pocket of a pair of combats. Pretty darn good IQ (in my opinion), and small / light enough that it goes in any bag I carry - even if i also have my DSLR in there. Mine pretty much goes everywhere with me, at least as much as my old small PnS did.

However - I can't imagine going anywhere without a bag of some sort - no 'manbag' for me, but I always have a backpack, satchel, messenger bag or camera bag with me.

Otherwise, I'd just go into a store and browse small cameras to be honest. DPReview did a group test of small cameras a while ago didn't they?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.