Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smitha96

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 11, 2005
I'm in the market for a very high resolution camera that is commercially available (I don't have to build it myself). The higher the resolution, the better. 15 megapixels? 30? 100??

I did several searches on google but just wasn't getting the results I was looking for.

And on a side note, if anyone comes across a very high resolution video camera (beyond 1080p) that still shoots at 30 or 24fps, please let me know.

Many thanks!

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
What is your budget? I can recommend to you a great Hasselblad H3D 50MP camera or there is also the Canon 5D Mark II, Nikon D3X and Sony Alpha A900 but it would be helpful to know the price range that you are looking at.

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
And the next question that begs to be asked is why? Most people who need lots of pixels in an image know where to find them. And the answer to that question does not always involve sensor resolution alone.

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
I'm in the market for a very high resolution camera that is commercially available (I don't have to build it myself). The higher the resolution, the better. 15 megapixels? 30? 100??

I did several searches on google but just wasn't getting the results I was looking for.

And on a side note, if anyone comes across a very high resolution video camera (beyond 1080p) that still shoots at 30 or 24fps, please let me know.

Many thanks!

Sounds like you're looking at something like a Phase One back on a Mamiya 645AF body. I think the P65 is the highest resolution, and it is commercially available. I don't know what the body would cost, but IIRC the P65 back is about $40,000 (you didn't specify your budget or needs).

lucidmedia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2008
Wellington, New Zealand
If "all" you need is 15 - 20 Megapixels, there are plenty of consumer level camers in this range. Take a look at the Cannon 5dmk2.

Digital camera backs can get you up to around 40MP. I have used backs like this for catalog work before.

I would take a look at the RED systems if you need motion and stills:

http://www.red.com/cameras/

http://www.red.com/epic_scarlet/

The 617 Pro will shoot 30fps at 28K resolution (28,000 pixels) for $53,000.

The Red One is currently shipping at 4K ($17,000).

Many thanks!
If you want super high resolution then You either need to upgrade to a medium format system or a large format system. You are of course talking about vastly more expensive equipment. I would not be able to recommend anything else without knowing what you planned on shooting and what you needed the higher resolution for.

One of the best 4x5 digital backs is the Super 10K-HS from Better Light. It has a native resolution of 10200 x 13600 pixels. Maximum file size at 100% = 397 MB in 24-bit RGB (794 MB 48-bit). Its currently around 23,000. Medium format sensors cant touch it including the P65.

iBallz

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2007
So. Utah
I've always poked fun of the Tachihara as a cheap little camera. I have almost unlimited budget for this and have now bought my THIRD identical camera. It's probably the world's best camera for practical outdoor landscape photography. Digital cameras come and go every few months. The Tachihara has been, and still is, responsible for a huge percentage of the serious landscape photography you've seen in magazines, calendars and art galleries for decades.

Add a $400 Epson 4990 scanner and you've got a 100 Megapixel digital capture system. You you can see the resolution results here.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/tachihara.htm

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
Thats not a digital camera. Besides if your looking for a film based 4x5 field camera then the Toyo AII is what you should be looking at. Those things are amazing.

The OP didn't specify a digital camera, just high resolution. There are a number of ways to get there. Film is one. The medium format digital backs mentioned in previous posts are another. There are other ways as well. Unfortunately, the OP's question is more suggestive of a solution than the problem to which a solution must be found.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

Many thanks!

What is the application? Is this to be used with a scientific instrument? Does the subject move? For use in the studio of outdoors. How much light do you have? Can you use studio lighting or is this "available light" only

Also you have to remember that the LENS nees to at least match the resolution of the sensor or you just get 100 million blurry pixels. Sensors like you are looking for place high demands on the optics

If all you want is exactly what you asked for "High res and comercially available then look at

1) Leaf Aptus II model 10. 56 mega pixels in 56mm x 35mm format.

2) If the above is not enough. Here is one that can do about 100 mega pixels at ISO 3,200. price is about $20K http://www.betterlight.com/superModels.html

Again you have to state your intended usage before anyone can give meaningful advice. Otherwise we are alll just guessing about what you might want.

Again remember that the optics really will matter. choose the lens well. I'll say that absolutlly NOTHING from Nikon or Canon is good enough for this kind of work. You are in the major leagues now and should be looking a Ziess, Scheider, Rodenstock, Sinar, Mamiya, Hasselblad and companies like that.

On the video side, that is easy ALL major motion pictures are shoot in at least 2K. THat is four times the pixesl of 1080p May are using 4K cameras. You can rent such a camera for a few kilo-bucks.

One more thing: You will need a photographer. Be realistic if you don't even know the names of these cameras you don't have the experience to use them. How much do you know about lighting? Do you even have the lighting equipment? You best bet is to hire a pro. He will have the camera and other gear and likely an assistant or two and do the shoot for you. Much cheaper to pay a pro maybe $5K to $20K then to spend $100K on this level of equipment and then spend the years required to learn to use it.
http://www.red.com/cameras/

EDIT:
I'm stupid for not thinking of this... You want high res? Cheap? Spend about $500 on a used 4x5 system. Anything built in the last 30 years will work. Load it with film, take the shot then have the film scanned on a drum scanner. You will easily get very high quality 100 megapixel files for a total cost in equipment well under $1000. Half that if you really work at shopping.

The OP didn't specify a digital camera, just high resolution. There are a number of ways to get there. Film is one. The medium format digital backs mentioned in previous posts are another. There are other ways as well. Unfortunately, the OP's question is more suggestive of a solution than the problem to which a solution must be found.

Yes he did specify a digital camera by specifically referring to Megapixels. Try rereading it again. Film based camera are not referred to in regards to Megapixels because it depends on the scanning of the film you shoot what size file you end up with. So again it is 100% clear from his post that he was in fact referring to digital cameras.

I'm stupid for not thinking of this... You want high res? Cheap? Spend about $500 on a used 4x5 system. Anything built in the last 30 years will work. Load it with film, take the shot then have the film scanned on a drum scanner. You will easily get very high quality 100 megapixel files for a total cost in equipment well under $1000. Half that if you really work at shopping.

Well under 1000? You may be lucky to find a used 4x5 camera for under a thousand but your never going to find a system including high quality lenses anywhere close to that figure. A somewhat decent 4x5 camera plus a couple of nice lenses plus the film holders is going to cost you at least 2500 bucks. Besides as I stated in my previous post he did specifically refer to digital camera's by referring to megapixels. If he wants to go the film route he will obviously save a lot of money however it will still be expensive especially if he gets quality lenses.

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
Yes he did specify a digital camera by specifically referring to Megapixels. Try rereading it again. Film based camera are not referred to in regards to Megapixels because it depends on the scanning of the film you shoot what size file you end up with. So again it is 100% clear from his post that he was in fact referring to digital cameras.

Megapixels or resolution are attributes of a final product, an image. That attribute doesn't necessarily have to apply to the tool used to capture the image.

That image can be captured in a number of ways. A big honkin' expensive MF back is one way. The latest and greatest DSLR is another. Scanning medium and large format film is another way. You can also shoot multi-image/multi-row panoramics and stitch to produce high resolution images. There are a number of ways to produce a high resolution image if you have an inventive mind, some talent, and a little creativity.

Now, without understanding the problem for which this solution is intended, it's impossible to provide the OP with good advice. So I'll say one more time that the original question is so vague that this discussion is more rhetorical than practical.

Megapixels or resolution are attributes of a final product, an image. That attribute doesn't necessarily have to apply to the tool used to capture the image.

That image can be captured in a number of ways. A big honkin' expensive MF back is one way. The latest and greatest DSLR is another. Scanning medium and large format film is another way. You can also shoot multi-image/multi-row panoramics and stitch to produce high resolution images. There are a number of ways to produce a high resolution image if you have an inventive mind, some talent, and a little creativity.

Now, without understanding the problem for which this solution is intended, it's impossible to provide the OP with good advice. So I'll say one more time that the original question is so vague that this discussion is more rhetorical than practical.

LOL, give me a break. You were wrong plain and simple. Film cameras are not referred to by megapixels and digital cameras are - end of story.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Well under 1000? You may be lucky to find a used 4x5 camera for under a thousand but your never going to find a system including high quality lenses anywhere close to that figure.

Don't say "never" because it only takes one example to prove you wrong.
KEH will sell you a Sinar F camera and a Sinar brand 180mm lens for about $750. You would still needa film holder and some odds and ends but it's easy to come in under $1k. But KEH is by far not the cheapest place to shop. Local deals with lesser brands go for 1/2 that price (calumet camera with Caltar lens) Prices for film based 4x5 have fallen through the floor in recent years

He asked only about "resolution". Any decent 4x5 lens can offer the required resolution. For 100MP you need about 10,000 pixels on a side. assume a 100mm length for a side and we have 100 pixels per milimeter which is about right for sampling a lens that can do 40 lines per millimeter. (You want roughly about 2.5 pixels per line.) Even the optics that a person like Edward Weston was using back in the 30's and 40's could produce 40 l/mm resolution. Lenses like that are cheap IF you do not require any shift or tilt or coatings. It is very easy to find and older lens like this for $200 another $300 will get you a beater of an old Calumet view camera. For $300 to $350 you can go to KEH right now and buy a Sinar or Nikon 180mm lens in "EX" condition.

It is also pretty easy to find a $800 or less deal on a Hasselblad 500C with 80mm lens. These camera can shoot negatives that will scan to 4,000 DPI if good film and technique were used. A 4000 DPI can on 2.25" square film is right close to 100 megapixels.

But again, we have no idea what "smitha96" needs. It did not say what he's use the camera for. Who knows what would work. Let's wait and see if he comes back here and supplies some detail. And like I said above, what is a guy what does not even know the names of the camera going to do with such high end gear?

smitha96

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 11, 2005
Clarification

I really appreciate everyone's posts. Considering what I've learned from everyone, what would be some good options in the upper end consuper or prosumer categories?

Say in the area of $500 to $5,000? Any help is appreciated.

Also, in terms of stills, I'd prefer to go with an all digital route - but that's just because that sounds like less hassel and it's what I'm familiar with.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I really appreciate everyone's posts. Considering what I've learned from everyone, what would be some good options in the upper end consuper or prosumer categories?

Say in the area of $500 to $5,000? Any help is appreciated.

Also, in terms of stills, I'd prefer to go with an all digital route - but that's just because that sounds like less hassel and it's what I'm familiar with.

That range pretty much covers every DSLR on the market below the medium format category. You're going to have to be more specific about what you want to photograph, what sorts of environments you will frequent with the camera, and what you want to do with the photographs after you've taken them.

ProwlingTiger

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
Canon 1D Mark III is a good choice, but it's at the very top of your price scale.

The Sony a900 is awesome at it's price. It sports 24.6 megapixels, but as others have said, that's not the only stat you should look at.

LittleCanonKid

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
Canon 1D Mark III is a good choice, but it's at the very top of your price scale.

The Sony a900 is awesome at it's price. It sports 24.6 megapixels, but as others have said, that's not the only stat you should look at.
I assume you mean 1Ds Mark III, correct? (The 1D Mark III is the 10 megapixel, 10-fps model). On the subject of pure IQ, I thought the 5D Mark II was Canon's best camera tough, concerning only IQ.

As others have said to OP, there's a lot of things to consider when buying a camera... what're you looking to use it for?

ProwlingTiger

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
I assume you mean 1Ds Mark III, correct? (The 1D Mark III is the 10 megapixel, 10-fps model). On the subject of pure IQ, I thought the 5D Mark II was Canon's best camera tough, concerning only IQ.

As others have said to OP, there's a lot of things to consider when buying a camera... what're you looking to use it for?
Yeah, m'bad. Error in typing that.

Personally, for the money, the 5D is where I'd go. It has full-frame capabilities which is a plus.

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
That range pretty much covers every DSLR on the market below the medium format category. You're going to have to be more specific about what you want to photograph, what sorts of environments you will frequent with the camera, and what you want to do with the photographs after you've taken them.

x2. OP, if you want us to help you, we're just gonna need more info… :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.