Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lamina

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 9, 2006
Niagara
Link

I am a Best Buy employee so I get a pretty good discount on that camera. I was looking into the Canon Rebel XT but I don't like the feel of it, plus I like the Nikon interface better.

Does anyone own this camera or have any experience with it that they'd like to share?

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
lamina said:
Link

I am a Best Buy employee so I get a pretty good discount on that camera. I was looking into the Canon Rebel XT but I don't like the feel of it, plus I like the Nikon interface better.

Does anyone own this camera or have any experience with it that they'd like to share?

Lots of people here own a Nikon DSRL. What is there to say about it? Works as advertised. Do notice that Nikon just announced the D80 which is a big step p but at nearly twice the price of the D50. They also announced a few new lenses that good very nice. the 18-135 and a 70-300 VR. The VR looks interesting if the price is low enough.

You will have to pick a lens (or two) to go with your new D50. I like the 18-70mm It's a range that covers 75% of what I shoot. Also the quality and feature set of the 18-70 is nicer then the 18-55 that is normally sold with the D50.

greenmac

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2006
Adelaide
ChrisA said:
Also the quality and feature set of the 18-70 is nicer then the 18-55 that is normally sold with the D50.

I agree, I have the 18-55 but would way rather the 18-70.
very easy camera to use, can just point and shoot like a compact, but can control everything if you want too, I also like the way u can see the settings on independent lcd, a friend has a olympus e 500, all the settings are done on the main screen.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Love the D50 much more than the Rebel XT. That thing just isn't for me. Maybe when they update it, it'll be good, but until then, I'd always recommend the D50, and not just because I own it. I own it because I think it's better, but that's just my preference. The ergonomics and build is better for me, though. Every other DSLR I've used, from the Canon 350D and 20D, to the Olympus E500, I don't think I like any of them as much as my D50 (not even the D70s). The D80 would be better, though, and the D200 would be the best camera for me that doesn't seem like way too much for me (although it would be, in a sense).

And yes, the 18-55 mm lens isn't good, but if you ever sell the camera, it's nice to have so that you have something to include. I'd get the Sigma 24-70 mm f/2.8 macro or Tamron 28-75 mm f/2.8 rather than the Nikon 18-70 mm f/3.5-4.5 if you want to get another lens. I like how those 2 other lenses can still take very sharp images at f/2.8, which also gives you a lot more control over depth of field.

The only advantage the 18-70 mm has is that it shoots at a wider angle. That, and several things that aren't so important to me.

EastCoastFlyer

macrumors regular
I'm new to DSLR photography, and purchased my D-50 about 6 weeks ago. Absolutely love it. Easy to use, easy Mac interface. It was helpful to me to buy a few books to go with it (I'm at the airport, so don't have the authors, etc. available to me at the moment), but I picked up one specifically on the D-50, one on digital photography for beginners, and the "Missing Manual" book for Photoshop Elements (having a blast with that too...). Buy it, enjoy it.

BanjoBanker

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2006
Mt Brook, AL
D50 is a good camera, but

With the introductin of the D80, the D70s has come down in price quite a bit, and is the better choice imo. I have used both models and I prefer the D70s. I have an earlier D70 with the 18-70 lens and a 100-300 f3.5-5.6 Nikkor. I really enjoy them both. To me the one drawback to the D50 is that is aimed at the point and shoot folks who want a DSLR. It uses SD cards for storage instead of compact flash, so you get less storage for the dollar and a much slower read/write rate. The D70 and 80 are aimed at the user advanced user and as a back up for the pro. My wife uses my D70 set to auto and takes great shots and loves using it. I always choose one of the manual settings appropriate to what I am doing; Shutter or Aperture priority or straight ahead manual. I have ordered a D2xs and I can hardly wait. I have used Nikons for over thirty years and have never had a bad one. At the time I bought my D70, the "pro" model D100 had fewer features and cost about $200 more for the body. Not much value there. Since you get a discount, I would look hard at the D70 before I spent my money.:cool:

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Abstract said:
The only advantage the 18-70 mm has is that it shoots at a wider angle. That, and several things that aren't so important to me.

This is why the make so many lenses. Everyone's style is different. I'd prefer a 12mm lens. With some subjects you can't use your feet. For example the Grand canyon. You can't back up to get a wider shot because you'd need to back up a half mile to get much of a change and at a zoo you can't walk up closer because of bariers that have. But in almost ALL other cases we can choose to shoot with a wide lens and be close or the zoom in and back off. Either way we cover the same subject. Which we is a is a matter of style. I think the close shots done with the wide lens are more "involving" of the viewer while the tele shoots are more static looking. Which is best depend of the effect you want.

Everything else being equal a faster lens is better. F/2.8 is geat for a zoom. Slow for a Prime. Nikon will have the best build quality, will color match other Nikon lenses (Each company seems to have it's own "look", controled I think in part by the ccoating they apply to the clas) and the Nikors do retain some resale value. Third party lenses on the other hand cost less. So you have to balance all the factors, speed, range, cost. The "best" would be a f/2.8 Nikon but then you spend over a grand.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
lamina, what kind of shooting do you plan to do? It is important to consider the lenses you'll be using with the camera, more than the camera body itself. Features on the camera body are important, too, and the D50 is missing some which are available on the D70/D70s. The new D80 will include some, but not all of those features. It is important to think ahead to the future: what kinds of lenses will you be using in the future if you really get into photography in a big way? Would you be likely to move into a more advanced camera body in the future, one which uses CF cards? The D50 and now the new D80 both use SD cards while all the other Nikon DSLRs use CF cards. May not sound like a big deal but in actual practice could be so in a couple of years if you switch to a body which uses CF cards and you've got an investment in SD cards.

I don't own the D50, nor have I used it, but I can vouch for the D70/D70s, and with the advent of the new D80 the prices will be dropping significantly on the D70s.....

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
ChrisA said:
This is why the make so many lenses. Everyone's style is different. I'd prefer a 12mm lens. With some subjects you can't use your feet. For example the Grand canyon. You can't back up to get a wider shot because you'd need to back up a half mile to get much of a change and at a zoo you can't walk up closer because of bariers that have.

Oh I know. I like shooting wide. I generally shoot wide rather than at telephoto lengths, which is why I don't even own a telephoto lens. However, the constant f/2.8 aperture was such a large benefit that I couldn't give that up just because of the 6 mm at the wide end I'd be giving up by getting the 24-70 mm. My other option was to get an 18-50 mm f/2.8, but I opted to get the extra 20 mm at the longer end, which I don't regret.

But you're right. I really do wish that my lens was an 18-70 mm f/2.8. That would settle everything. ;)

beavo451

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2006
Abstract said:
Oh I know. I like shooting wide. I generally shoot wide rather than at telephoto lengths, which is why I don't even own a telephoto lens. However, the constant f/2.8 aperture was such a large benefit that I couldn't give that up just because of the 6 mm at the wide end I'd be giving up by getting the 24-70 mm. My other option was to get an 18-50 mm f/2.8, but I opted to get the extra 20 mm at the longer end, which I don't regret.

But you're right. I really do wish that my lens was an 18-70 mm f/2.8. That would settle everything. ;)

There IS the 17-55mm f/2.8 lens ;)

I used to have the D50 and it is a great camera, I would either get it, or wait for the D80. The D70 really isn't a consideration anymore, unless you just can't get past its mid point price between the D50 and D80. Also, the D50 has the second best high ISO performance out of the entire Nikon dSLR line (#1 is the D2Hs).

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
For shooting wide-angle in the Nikon line you've got:

10.5mm (fisheye)
14mm (rectilinear)
12-24mm zoom (great for landscapes and interiors)
17-35mm (great for landscapes)
17-55mm (great for people)
20mm f/2.8
28mm f/1.4

There is no 24-70mm in the Nikon line, but there is a 28-70mm f/2.8....

lamina

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 9, 2006
Niagara
Clix Pix said:
lamina, what kind of shooting do you plan to do? It is important to consider the lenses you'll be using with the camera, more than the camera body itself. Features on the camera body are important, too, and the D50 is missing some which are available on the D70/D70s. The new D80 will include some, but not all of those features. It is important to think ahead to the future: what kinds of lenses will you be using in the future if you really get into photography in a big way? Would you be likely to move into a more advanced camera body in the future, one which uses CF cards? The D50 and now the new D80 both use SD cards while all the other Nikon DSLRs use CF cards. May not sound like a big deal but in actual practice could be so in a couple of years if you switch to a body which uses CF cards and you've got an investment in SD cards.

I don't own the D50, nor have I used it, but I can vouch for the D70/D70s, and with the advent of the new D80 the prices will be dropping significantly on the D70s.....

I plan to do some artistic photography. The main reason I want a DSLR is because of the manual controls of the aperture, shutter speed, and focus. I will be using the lens that comes with the one I linked to in my original post.

Good point about the SD cards, but I don't usually keep my technology for more than a year or two, so I can't see this being much of an issue.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Yeah, plus you work at BestBuy, so you could get memory cards for cheap.

One question: Couldn't you have asked another BestBuy employee about the Nikon D50, or do you not trust the people who work there either? :p

Clix Pix said:
There is no 24-70mm in the Nikon line, but there is a 28-70mm f/2.8....

True, but he can get it from Sigma for his new camera. Didn't mention the "Sigma" part because I had mentioned it already in a previous post.

And I read that the 28-70 mm isn't better optically than either the Tamron 28-75 mm, which is supposed to be fantastic, or the Sigma 24-70 mm, which isn't as good, although I'm sure the Nikon is much quieter than the Sigma.

Anyway, if he can get the Nikon 18-70 mm from BestBuy.ca at a discount, then it's definitely a better choice than the 18-55 mm kit lens.

beavo451 said:
There IS the 17-55mm f/2.8 lens ;)

Haha, yes there is. Great option, I'm sure, but look at the price of that thing! ;)

shieldyoureyes

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2005
Uppsala, Sweden
Go with the D50, you won't regret it!

I got mine about a month ago, and can't put it down. I would also recommend not getting the kit lens and buy a used 18-70mm nikkor for it. I'm not sure what you discount is, but I picked up that lens for $210 almost new (only a few test shots taken)

stormj

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2006
California
lamina said:
Link

OK, here's my endorsement. I got the package at Costco that included two lenses, a carrying case, a 256 SDcard, and some other accessories.

I took it on a trip to europe, left it in a cab in London, came home and replaced it because it was that good.

dalvin200

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
I got my D50 a few weeks ago with the standard 18-55mm lens which i had read over the web to be quite a decent kit lens..

its my first time into (d)SLR territory, so I don't know much about different lenses etc.. but from what I've just read in the above posts - have I made a mistake in getting it with the 18-55mm lens?

I'd ideally like "the best of both" worlds by being able to take good close ups and wide(r) shots. You're saying the 18-70mm would of been a better bet for that?

Just so it saves me carrying around multiple lenses when 1 can achieve 75-80% of my needs.

Does the mm numbering system mean that 18mm is the closest (zoom) and 70mm is the widest? I know that may sounds pretty stupid, but I don't quite understand the lens "jargon"

Thanks

lamina

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 9, 2006
Niagara
I picked up the camera 2 days ago, but haven't had much time to play with it since I have 2 jobs. I will be going out today after work to give it a good couple hours in the field.

The pictures I have taken so far I am very very happy with. I love the feel and interface of the camera. I have been studying the manual in order to get an even better understanding of all the different modes. This is a lot different than my ancient 35mm Canon SLR I used for my highschool photography class!

I picked up a 2GB SD card with it as well. I will post a few pictures after todays outing.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
dalvin200 said:
I got my D50 a few weeks ago with the standard 18-55mm lens which i had read over the web to be quite a decent kit lens..

its my first time into (d)SLR territory, so I don't know much about different lenses etc.. but from what I've just read in the above posts - have I made a mistake in getting it with the 18-55mm lens?

I'd ideally like "the best of both" worlds by being able to take good close ups and wide(r) shots. You're saying the 18-70mm would of been a better bet for that?

Just so it saves me carrying around multiple lenses when 1 can achieve 75-80% of my needs.

Does the mm numbering system mean that 18mm is the closest (zoom) and 70mm is the widest? I know that may sounds pretty stupid, but I don't quite understand the lens "jargon"

Thanks

18 mm is the widest, and 70 mm is the farthest you can "see." ;)

So you're very happy with what you're getting from the kit lens, but you're worried because of what people spook you into thinking here in this forum? Do you honestly believe that for all your photos, if you shot them with an 18-70 mm instead, that all those photos you took would be better? I mean, "noticeably" better? No way.

The 18-70 mm is better because it's slightly "faster", meaning the aperture (hole) is generally larger than the 18-55 mm kit lens, and the coating is likely better, as is the build quality, but I don't mind the plastic of my D50's kit lens if it saves me some money and can still take great photos.

Always purchase a lens because the lens/lenses that you currently own don't/can't do what you want to do, and don't produce the results you want because it can't allow you to do what you want to do. For example, if I wanted greater control over depth of field (ie: how well I can control the blur in my photos), I'd need a faster aperture, and so I purchased a Sigma 24-70 mm with f/2.8 aperture. This has replaced my kit lens as my general walk-around lens. I could still take some great photos with my 18-55 mm kit lens, but it won't give me the control over depth of field, and usability under low light conditions that I want.

If I wanted to take macro photos, I'd need to get another lens for that because none of my lenses serve that purpose well enough.

The photos you take with a better 18-55 mm or 18-70 mm would be better in some situations, but not just "better." Well, the difference wouldn't be worth the extra $300 or so American dollars it would cost you to purchase the 18-70 mm.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.