Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cutsman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 1, 2006
For the past year or so, I've developed a growing interest in photography. Not so much actually getting into shooting myself, but really starting to appreciate and admire other people's work that I've seen.

Now I'm starting to think that photography is something I want to start getting into. The problem is the money involved in getting some beginner gear and the monetary risk should i realize down the road that photography in fact isn't for me. I've been doing a great deal of research as of late for some entry level gear and have pretty much decided on the Nikon D40 with 18-55mm kit lens.. use this setup for a while til i get a better idea of what it is i really want to shoot and then start looking at other glass (i'm getting the lingo down... :D ). I'm also considering taking a couple photography courses if I can fit them into my schedule (do you guys recommend taking courses or would self-teaching using books/internet be sufficient?)

My question is, how easy would it be to sell my gear a year or 2 down the road should i realize it's not really my thing... and what is the depreciation like on lenses? I would imagine the bodies depreciate rather quickly, as with all technology/electronic devices.

Basically, I'm having some issues taking the leap and making that monetary commitment. I'd appreciate any input/advice you guys have. Thanks.

Fearless Leader

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2006
Hoosiertown
I love my d40 had it for year and a half now, the stock lens 18-55mm I believe drove me crazy because it was decent at macro shots and didn't have any real zooming capabilities. the d40 is solid good camera used and you shouldn't have a problem selling it, if you come to that.

I haven't had a photography a photography class and I take good photos. I did some reading got a concept and took it from there, But a class probably would have been nice.

remember its not the camera you buy, its the lenses they will become your greatest expense and asset.

have you tried a couple point and shoot cameras? Can you take decent photos with them?
You can give a monkey a 1000 camera with all the lenses in the world but a pro with a 200 camera will take better photos.

dodong

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2007
My question is, how easy would it be to sell my gear a year or 2 down the road should i realize it's not really my thing... and what is the depreciation like on lenses? I would imagine the bodies depreciate rather quickly, as with all technology/electronic devices.

Basically, I'm having some issues taking the leap and making that monetary commitment. I'd appreciate any input/advice you guys have. Thanks.

If you love what you're going to do, then there's no need to worry about failing in it. Since you have the money now, so why hesitate? You should take the plunge and test the waters. You never know what will happen next. Just a suggestion.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
I've been doing a great deal of research as of late for some entry level gear and have pretty much decided on the Nikon D40 with 18-55mm kit lens.. use this setup for a while til i get a better idea of what it is i really want to shoot and then start looking at other glass (i'm

You'll be able to make great prints up to about 11x14" with that camera without any issues at all. Any of the current crop of 6MP cameras are good starter cameras. You won't be able to use older Nikon lenses in AF mode, but frankly, the current crop of consumer zooms do really well.

getting the lingo down... :D ). I'm also considering taking a couple photography courses if I can fit them into my schedule (do you guys recommend taking courses or would self-teaching using books/internet be sufficient?)

There's a *lot* of value to having someone explain things, especially exposure and composition. If you don't take a class locally, I recommend Ron Reznick's Sure Shot DVD (the complete set)- it covers exposure and compensation well, and delves into post-processing and should put you pretty far ahead of trying to figure it all out yourself.

It really depends on the lens and what's been released in the intervening time. Nikon's pro-level glass holds its value quite well, the consumer-grade kit lenses are hit or miss depending on the market's want for them and their unbundled availability.

You'll be fine with the investment as soon as you get shots you like hanging on the wall.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.