Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Reao

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 25, 2008
So Photography has ben a hobby/passion of mine for years and I would like to open a portrait studio. Some tips on what I really need for setting up a basic studio. Like how much lighting will I need and stuff like that. I still have a lot of learning I need to do about studio photography and I am open to any help I can get. :p

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2003
Before you pony up the cash for your own studio, check to see if there is a studio co-op where you live. A studio co-op means that there is one studio that many photographers share, and you pay a fee to join that is a tiny fraction of what it would cost to start your own studio from scratch. You schedule time to use the studio in advance. This might have a lower entry barrier than what you're describing.

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2003
Also, it seems like you might be putting the cart before the horse... maybe you should learn all you can about portrait photography and get good at it before you start your own studio

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
Yes... cart before the horse, I'm afraid. If you're asking questions, here on MR, then you're simply not ready to turn a hobby into a business. It's a tough business at the best of times... and these are definitely not the best of times...

Reao

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 25, 2008
Ok after thinking about it I think you guys are right. I know I need to learn more but there is jest so much out there it can be overwhelming. What are some websites and book you guys recommend.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
Ok after thinking about it I think you guys are right. I know I need to learn more but there is jest so much out there it can be overwhelming. What are some websites and book you guys recommend.

Phew, it looks like we saved you a lot of $$ and heartache. Take a course, or become a portrait photographer's assistant, or get yourself a couple of lights and practise on family, friends, a tailor's dummy, etc. And keep honing your skills to the point where you know you can make a living, and don't have to ask questions on an internet forum... ;)

pprior

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2007
Post some of your work. Let's see if you're ready. There are lots of wannabe photographers out there who think they're ready. You can't take the enthusiasm of friends and family as proof you're ready, seek the input of your peers and some honest C&C on your skills. If you have the skills, then a business plan is next. You will need insurance. Very few people start out with a physical studio, it's a huge investment and unless you have a very good day job, one that will quickly bleed you dry.

So let's see some of your work.

canonguy

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2009
+1 for co-op idea.

Not only do you get access to a pro studio and pro equipment... you get access to working professionals, often for around $100/mo

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.