Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Danomatic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
So I picked up the studio display from Best Buy on Friday. Had guest over Saturday so I wasn't able to really test it until later. Plugged into 16 inch 2021 MBP (M1 Pro). Problem is it will not wake from sleep. Calm shell or lid open it remains dark. I have one of the LG 24 ultra fine and that wakes within a few seconds.

Did a chat with Apple and they just told me to return it, very little troubleshooting other than asking me if I had an Intel Mac to test with.

Has anyone heard of this? Or did I just get a lemon?

Thanks for letting me vent
Dan

PS same thing happens on our family M1 iMac

Attachments

• IMG_1498.jpeg
    IMG_1498.jpeg
    255.8 KB · Views: 229

kreasu_

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2022
Make sure you are using a thunderbolt cable and a thunderbolt port, someone else in a other thread said they got a defective cable and using a different thunderbolt cable seemed to resolve the issue

Reactions: 3Rock

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
In addition to exchanging out the cable, try the different TB ports on your MBP.

I know one of the ports on my 16" MBP is different than the other 3.

Ron21

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
What USB C cable are you using? Looks like your Mac is charging but no picture.. Make sure you are using the thunderbolt cable and not the regular white usb c charging cable that comes with your Mac.

Reactions: 4sallypat

Danomatic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
What USB C cable are you using? Looks like your Mac is charging but no picture.. Make sure you are using the thunderbolt cable and not the regular white usb c charging cable that comes with your Mac.
I'm using the one that came in the box with the display. Same thing happens on our family M1 iMac.

Ron21

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
I'm using the one that came in the box with the display. Same thing happens on our family M1 iMac.
In that case, sounds like a lemon, just exchange it.

Not much else you can do since there are no buttons or anyway to do anything in order to further troubleshoot that I'm aware. Unless the included cable is defective perhaps.

Danomatic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
Yeah I've tried all three of the TB ports. Three different TB 3 cables, nada. Thanks everyone, I'm heading back to Best Buy for hopefully an exchange or a return :(

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
Yeah I've tried all three of the TB ports. Three different TB 3 cables, nada. Thanks everyone, I'm heading back to Best Buy for hopefully an exchange or a return :(
Hope the store has one in stock for an exchange - they have been flying off the shelves over the weekend!

Danomatic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
Got replacement ordered. Hopefully within next two week. Thanks everyone. I’ll update when I get the replacement.

Reactions: Mr. Awesome

Danomatic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
Happy to report that Best Buy got my replacement today, and everything is 100% better. Laptop asleep for 30 minutes, click a key and both laptop and ASD wake right up!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.