Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SolracSelbor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 26, 2007
I dont know is this will says much but on DPreview forum there is a guy who says there is an add in Köln (where photokina takes place) on a taxi that shows a partial pentax camera in the shadows. Here's the photo:

2827299153_4fba33cfd7.jpg

Heres the link to the discussion:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=29193467

stillshooting

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2008
Maybe a Full-frame DSLR with 10fps under $1,500.00!!

DPreview also said

"...at this Photokina there will be more digital SLRs with full frame (36 x 24 mm) sensors than any previous show, and they will cost much less than they have at any time in the past. It's not inconceivable to think that the future of semi-professional and professional photography will be viewed through a big viewfinder."

Dan Lorth

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2008
It is without a doubt that prosumer and professional cameras are heading into full-frame format only. I would give it a few years but the trend certainly suggests this is accurate.

Haha if pentax releases a 10fps 10MP FF body with no popup flash and 14bit processing that would be a HIT.

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
It is without a doubt that prosumer and professional cameras are heading into full-frame format only. I would give it a few years but the trend certainly suggests this is accurate.

Haha if pentax releases a 10fps 10MP FF body with no popup flash and 14bit processing that would be a HIT.

Yeah that would be awesome!
One thing I never really understood was why not include an inbuilt flash? I know they produce bad results but can be convenient in some situations where it's not easy to bring your bag full of gear. :confused:
I know pros would have this gear anyway but surely for convenience why wouldn't you include one.

SolracSelbor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 26, 2007
One thing I never really understood was why not include an inbuilt flash? I know they produce bad results but can be convenient in some situations where it's not easy to bring your bag full of gear. :confused:
I know pros would have this gear anyway but surely for convenience why wouldn't you include one.

It could simply be in order to keep with the illusion of "professionalism". One figures that professionals wouldn't bother with a built in flash. Kinda like a "pro" violin only having one fine tuner instead of four. Do any FF's have built in flash?

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???

I agree that FF is going to become cheaper and more prevalent, but it wont replace crop sensor bodies for most consumer/prosumer. It's simply cheaper to cut 1.5 or 1.6x sensors than it is to produce FF sensors because you get 1.5 or 1.6 times more sensors per sheet of silicon. Demand for FF would have to go up substantially to tip the scales in favour of making FF preferentially.

That said, I think the shift to more FF bodies is inevitable, but will come with significant problems. People will wonder why their telephoto lenses dont reach as far as they used to; why they have so much vignetting; why the corners of their images are so soft.

Basically, a move back to full 135-sized sensors will mean that people will NEED good glass (and will make useless the crop lenses that many have purchased over the last few years). Once again, the old wisdom that you get more milage out of buying great lenses vs. buying a great body holds true. I don't buy anything that isn't 'L' quality anymore (I shoot Canon); once I experienced the difference my 17-40L and 70-200L have made in my shots, I will never go back.

So I say bring on the FF; my next SLR will be FF, but be prepared for crop sensors to be the mainstay for quite a while yet.

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR

I've always understood that it was because the cameras without the popup flash had special fancy viewfinders that make including a popup flash a problem. The Nikon D700 is the only FF camera that I'm aware of that doesn't have a 100% viewfinder, this is likely due to the fact that they included a popup flash and had to reduce the size and as a result the coverage of the viewfinder.

SLC

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
I've always understood that it was because the cameras without the popup flash had special fancy viewfinders that make including a popup flash a problem. The Nikon D700 is the only FF camera that I'm aware of that doesn't have a 100% viewfinder, this is likely due to the fact that they included a popup flash and had to reduce the size and as a result the coverage of the viewfinder.

SLC

D3 uses a pentaprism, which--if you've seen it--takes up more room than the D300's viewfinder "box" area. So yes, I think you're right.

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
Well there are plenty of cameras with Pentaprisms that still have a popup flash. The D80, K10D, 40D, D300, D700, A700, and quite a few others. But I think that to make a pentaprism viewfinder that gives 100% coverage (what you see is what you get) that covers full frame sensors is what makes including a popup flash difficult. I fall into the category of folks that would boo someone leaving it out simply so the camera "Looks" professional, I say that if it's possible to include it, it should be there so someone can use it when it's needed/wanted. But these ultra high end cameras don't have space for that.

SLC

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

Many people, far more then will admit to it buy cameras as status symbols. They want to be seen with "pro" equipment. Sometimes this is simply for their own ego but some times (well, a lot of times) it is a business decision. The pro has to impress his client and if he is shooting weddings and events his client is likely unsophisticated and judges the photographer by his equipment. I'm sure that is why so many wedding photographers used Hasselblads, because they look impressive. It used to be easy to look like a pro, simply shoot medium format but now with digital that trick has become way to expensive. So now he needs to find a dSLR that does not look like the dSLR all the wedding guests are carrying. A monster-size body with vertical grip and external flash would do a decent job of setting him apart.

It's kind of a show, the Nikon D40 would do work good enough to sell but it's hard to sell yourself it you have only a D40.

Self confident amateurs and pros who shoot for professional (art director) clients care about results by they are the minority. Most are not at that level.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.