Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tashi_108

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2024
Hello, thank you for taking the time to read my inquiry. I just purchased a refurbished MacBook Pro 2019 16inch from eBay and immediately noticed the screen is a bit too wobbly? I'm wondering if this is normal for this model type or if the hinges need to be tightened?

I paid a decent amount of money for this unit and it's covered under ebay 1 year warranty but I have to wait 6 months before I can send the unit in for a repair. I'm wondering if I should just return it and ask the seller for a unit with a tighter screen/display? I can see this becoming an issue and damaging my screen sooner than later? I previously owned a 2015 MacBook pro 15 inch and the hinges/screen were just perfect. Never had an issue opening/closing or having the screen wobble on me.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you 🙏🏼

Update* after playing around with the screen a bit more I think the hinges are actually screwed on tightly/ maybe even perfectly? but the screen still wobbles? I found this out by opening and closing the lid a couple times and feeling the friction of the lid as I pulled it up and down. If the hinges were loose the screen would probably be a lot easier to pull up and down (with less tightness and friction) but thats not the case. I think maybe its just a common issue thats not actually an issue?

Last edited:

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
If the hinge was loose, the slight tug would change it's position rather than wobble like that. These displays are just very thin and as a consequence, they can wobble quite easily if there's any forces acting, though I can't say I've ever noticed it wobbling whilst typing at least on a stable surface, but that looks normal to me for tugging top of display with a finger.

Reactions: tashi_108

Rimmsi

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2021
Czech Republic
I remember some old ThinkPads had play in the hinges. This was caused by frequent opening of the lid. These units were easy to replace. I have no idea if it is possible to easily replace the hinges even with the MBP.

tashi_108

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2024
If the hinge was loose, the slight tug would change it's position rather than wobble like that. These displays are just very thin and as a consequence, they can wobble quite easily if there's any forces acting, though I can't say I've ever noticed it wobbling whilst typing at least on a stable surface, but that looks normal to me for tugging top of display with a finger.

Hey there, I appreciate your input. There's been an update to the situation after using the unit all day. After playing around with the screen a bit more I think the hinges are actually screwed on tightly/ maybe even perfectly? but the screen still wobbles probably due to how thin and lightweight it is? I found this out by opening and closing the lid a couple times and feeling the friction of the lid as I pulled it up and down against the surface of the keyboard. And I think you're right, if the hinges were loose the screen would probably be a lot easier and looser to pull up and down but it actually staying very firmly in place while the wobble is happening (with less tightness and friction) but thats not the case. Maybe theres two parts to the hinge/screen connection though and one of them is loose while the other is firm. Overall I feel like the whole screen is set in pretty solid but idk I've never owned this model so I don't know what's normal and not you know? Thanks again for your insight, much appreciated. P.s. let me know if you'd like to peek another video demonstration. pss. the table I'm working on is itself not very solid either which probably contributes to the wobble as well as when I am typing with the laptop on my lap the screen wobbles much less..

Last edited:

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
There's been an update to the situation after using the unit all day. After playing around with the screen a bit more I think the hinges are actually screwed on tightly/ maybe even perfectly? but the screen still wobbles probably due to how thin and lightweight it is?
I have this exact same model and there is wobble as you describe.. although it doesn't wobble when I type.

tashi_108

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2024
I have this exact same model and there is wobble as you describe.. although it doesn't wobble when I type.
It doesn't seem to wobble as much when I'm using it on my lap or a sturdier surface, it may be the result of my overly unstable table as well. Still think maybe it's just poor design due to thin display though, who knows. Thanks

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.