Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HurricaneIrma

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2017
in October, I upgraded from the iPhone 6 to 8. In the Sprint store, the 6 was deactivated without my watch being unpaired from it first. I did not know to do this and apparently neither did the tech working with me. Hours later, I discovered all fitness data - one year’s worth - was lost. After numerous chats and calls to Apple, they determined int was because the watch was not unpaired first and all data was lost, forever, bye bye. I’m hoping there is a guru here, a Grand Poobah who knows of a way to pluck it out of oblivion and give it back to me.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I think it's totally gone, sorry.

I upgraded from an iPhone 7 to an X last weekend and let the Genius guide me through the change, which turned out to be suboptimal. I lost my health data - but got it back - but (again) I still had my original phone. Here's what I did:

When I got home, I took the VZW sim out of the X and put it back in the 7 and put the 7 back on the VZW network. I then wiped the Watch and re-paired it with the 7. I then did an encrypted backup of the 7 to my Mac in iTunes.

With that all done, I un-paired the watch, wiped the X, set up the X with a restore from the encrypted backup I'd just made for the 7, and paired the Watch with the X. Bingo, everything restored.

The two points here are (1) that because I still had the old phone and it was the same day, no data was lost (even though I had to essentially make the 7 my phone again briefly) and (2) I had an encrypted backup to restore to the new phone.

If you don't still have your old phone, you're probably out of luck. It's possible that if you've got an encrypted backup on a local machine or on iCloud, you might be able to restore it, but FWIW my encrypted backup on iCloud did not restore my Health information/history.

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
Did you ever unpair your watch from your iPhone 6 prior to the Sprint store incident?

That would have created a watch backup on your iPhone 6, the next key step would be to check and see if you still have a backup of your iPhone 6 in iTunes or iCloud. That's the only two possible places where the data might be located.

Dave

HurricaneIrma

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2017
I think it's totally gone, sorry.

I upgraded from an iPhone 7 to an X last weekend and let the Genius guide me through the change, which turned out to be suboptimal. I lost my health data - but got it back - but (again) I still had my original phone. Here's what I did:

When I got home, I took the VZW sim out of the X and put it back in the 7 and put the 7 back on the VZW network. I then wiped the Watch and re-paired it with the 7. I then did an encrypted backup of the 7 to my Mac in iTunes.

With that all done, I un-paired the watch, wiped the X, set up the X with a restore from the encrypted backup I'd just made for the 7, and paired the Watch with the X. Bingo, everything restored.

The two points here are (1) that because I still had the old phone and it was the same day, no data was lost (even though I had to essentially make the 7 my phone again briefly) and (2) I had an encrypted backup to restore to the new phone.

If you don't still have your old phone, you're probably out of luck. It's possible that if you've got an encrypted backup on a local machine or on iCloud, you might be able to restore it, but FWIW my encrypted backup on iCloud did not restore my Health information/history.

Thanks for your help. I don’t have the old phone and hadn’t heard of an encrypted backup till I started researching this. So I’m SOL. FWIW, I went back to the Sprint store and told another tech about this. He had not heard of unpairing a watch prior to deactivating a phone. Maybe I’ve saved someone else from my misfortune.
[doublepost=1511726725][/doublepost]
Did you ever unpair your watch from your iPhone 6 prior to the Sprint store incident?

That would have created a watch backup on your iPhone 6, the next key step would be to check and see if you still have a backup of your iPhone 6 in iTunes or iCloud. That's the only two possible places where the data might be located.

Dave

I did unpair my watch just a month or so prior to this. It fell victim to battery expansion and was sent to Apple. They gave me a replacement. I don’t back up to iTunes. I feel I’ve looked for the data in the Cloud, but it’s quite possible I don’t know how to do it. Can you tell me how, please?

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
FWIW, I had my phone backing up to iCloud with encrypted backups and I wound up losing my Health and other fitness data. In theory, I think that should have worked but it didn't. What =did= work was unpairing my watch with my original/old phone, then making an encrypted backup in iTunes, then doing a restore from that backup to the new phone, then pairing the Watch with the new phone. I wish I could be more encouraging about any iCloud backups. It's worth a try, but at least in my case (sample size = 1) it didn't work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.