Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brianh9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2017
Australia
I followed great advice on site and successfully split main SSD and HDD on iMac Late 2014 27". I replaced the HDD with new 1TB SSD. Main SSD works fine after restoring from TM backup.

Now i am looking to relocate my user folders e.g. Docs etc to the new 1TB SSD. I followed advice from web but on rebooting the main SSD (original 128G) has disappeared and now unable to access. Possibly the advice i followed was older and not relevant to Sierra. To continue use I have now rebooted using Command / R and reloaded TM backup so I now have both drives active.

How can i relocate my user folders and retain both drives? Preferably booting from the man 120G SSD?

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
You don't want to relocate your -accounts-. They should stay on the boot drive -- fewer problems that way.

What you -DO- want to relocate are a few "large libraries" that exist -within- those accounts.

For example:
- iTunes folder inside the "Music" folder (not the Music folder itself)
- iPhoto library and/or Photos library inside the "Pictures" folder
- Movies (not the "Movies" folder, but just store individual movies on the other drive somewhere)

You can then "re-direct" iTunes, iPhoto, Photos to use the relocated libraries.

Reactions: snowtrooper1966

snowtrooper1966

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2011
Clarksburg, WV
You don't want to relocate your -accounts-. They should stay on the boot drive -- fewer problems that way.

What you -DO- want to relocate are a few "large libraries" that exist -within- those accounts.

You can then "re-direct" iTunes, iPhoto, Photos to use the relocated libraries.

Great advice, almost forgot about the importance of keeping the main folders on the boot drive and just redirecting for the large media sub folders.

Just upgraded late 2012 1.12TB Fusion MacMini to spankin new 2017 27" 580/4.2GHz/8GB RAM (self
Installing additional 32GB)/1TB SSD either external 4TB Thunderbolt 3 HDD

Going to start fresh with the new iMac, not restore from TM backup.
Had pulled the iPhoto & iTunes libraries off the Mini and into the external that arrived before the desktop, so will go down a level and just redirect to the media folder, not the upper level account.
Thanks

Brianh9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2017
Australia
Great advice, almost forgot about the importance of keeping the main folders on the boot drive and just redirecting for the large media sub folders.

Just upgraded late 2012 1.12TB Fusion MacMini to spankin new 2017 27" 580/4.2GHz/8GB RAM (self
Installing additional 32GB)/1TB SSD either external 4TB Thunderbolt 3 HDD

Going to start fresh with the new iMac, not restore from TM backup.
Had pulled the iPhoto & iTunes libraries off the Mini and into the external that arrived before the desktop, so will go down a level and just redirect to the media folder, not the upper level account.
Thanks

Great advice many thanks and I fell happier with this method than the moved "User" I tried.

I can understand that for specific folders like iTunes and Photos its is easy to direct the app to the relocated folder. But how do I relocate the docs folder such that the iMac now sees the relocated docs folder as the "user" doc folder?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.