Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Greatmrname

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2019
Hello,
After trying to test this feature, I couldn't get it to work. I put it in lost mode, entered in the information, and moved my phone out of range. Then I brought another iPhone to the AirTag to read the NFC, and nothing was happening. I also tried doing again while it was in range of my iPhone.
Did I do something wrong, or not understand this feature? Did anyone else get it working?

tagy

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2003
UK
To read an NFC you need to be quite accurate with where you place it at the top of your iPhone. So I'd try again if you haven't read nfc tags before.

Also you don't need to put it in lost mode etc, it just behaves as any other nfc tag.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Hello,
After trying to test this feature, I couldn't get it to work. I put it in lost mode, entered in the information, and moved my phone out of range. Then I brought another iPhone to the AirTag to read the NFC, and nothing was happening. I also tried doing again while it was in range of my iPhone.
Did I do something wrong, or not understand this feature? Did anyone else get it working?
Were both phones updated to 14.5?

5H3PH3RD

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2011
I don’t know what’s worse. This, or if someone finds it before you know you’ve lost it there is no way to let you know and an active link to disable the tag.

Attachments

• 6ED7FEE0-5FA4-4739-A5B8-639399D8EFC4.png
    6ED7FEE0-5FA4-4739-A5B8-639399D8EFC4.png
    733.1 KB · Views: 109

tagy

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2003
UK
I don't think this is true. Did this happen with you?
Yes, I can read the tag with my phone or other devices.

It is just a web link with the serial number, presumably the page will contain the lost info if you set it otherwise it just shows the serial number.

You need to place it plastic side down at the top of your iPhone near the earpiece with the screen on.

Reactions: Greatmrname

Greatmrname

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2019
Yes, I can read the tag with my phone or other devices.

It is just a web link with the serial number, presumably the page will contain the lost info if you set it otherwise it just shows the serial number.

You need to place it plastic side down at the top of your iPhone near the earpiece with the screen on.
Thank you!!! This worked

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.