Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mohnumber7

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 20, 2020
Montréal
Hi, i have a mac pro 5.1 from 2010 with dual x5690, 96gb of memory, bootroom uploaded to the latest version 144.0.0.0, vega 64 with pixlas mode, everything works fine since always, i have two nvme disks with adapter on pcie, one with mojave and the other with bigsur, I am currently working on the bigsur, opencore is installed on a partition of mojave, unfortunately I decided to format mojave to try something else and I forgot to move opencore to another partition. I find myself unable to boot my mac, I have no backup system, no disk with opencore. what is the solution to replace opencore again? I'm killing myself all this weekend to find the solution, and I told myself that I have to find someone with a mac to be able to format one of my disk or usb key and place the opencore files in the new efi partition but without putting the blessing otherwise his mac could hang, if it starts at my place without the blessing, and allows me to load my bigsur system, I could officially place opencore on the efi partition of bigsur, do you have any better ideas? I'm desperate, understand me, this mac is my work tool, thank you all.

mohnumber7

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 20, 2020
Montréal
I'm serious about scrapping this mac! I just made an opencore key at my friend's house with martin lo's method, and another external disk, but still nothing, he doesn't want to display this damn mac, I refrain from throwing it out on the street for a damn error of formatting! even impossible to make an nvpram, I even installed a hd5780 to be able to display the original boot but nothing, I would have liked to install the os from internet cable, I am lost, I am a computer scientist but I am overwhelmed! ! how to do please!!

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
If you have any computer (literally any, not necessary Mac), you can create a USB flash drive with OpenCore. Of course, you can do this in your friend's home as well.

Then with the HD5870, if you hold Option key to boot, you should able to see the USB flash drive's EFI entry (which is OpenCore). You can use Control + Enter to bless that, or simply press Enter to boot Big Sur via OpenCore boot picker.

Or if your friend has a Mac, he can install Mojave onto a USB external drive, and you can boot from that on your cMP. He can also make a Mojave USB installer for you. So that you can install Mojave onto your blank NVMe (with an unflashed Vega64, remove the Big Sur drive, only install a blank NVMe and plug in the USB installer, then your cMP should boot to the installer automatically).

Or, you can study post #1 of cdf's sticky OpenCore thread. There is a section about how to create a recovery CD. You can make that CD, put it into your cMP, then hold C to boot the recovery CD. Which will also lead you back to a working OpenCore.

Reactions: ddhhddhh2

prefuse07

Suspended
Jan 27, 2020
San Francisco, CA
Going forward -- in case you need to do any more maintenance, it would be smart and good practice to have Mojave installed on a spare SSD, which you can insert into SATA Bay 1 of your cMP. Mojave does NOT need OpenCore to run on the cMP, although depending on which GPU you have, you may not see a bootscreen -- but it does work.

Case in point -- before I upgraded to my 7,1, I used Mojave on a spare SSD, which I would insert into SATA Bay 1 and remove all of my other drives, to reflash my 5,1 rebuilt bootroom every ~3 months (even though I DO have a MATT card in it)... I would recommend the same to you.

mohnumber7

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 20, 2020
Montréal
yes, I've created to sata disk with mojave for emergency situations, now I've another problem. Before, I had installed win 10 on an SSD for gaming from time to time and it worked well, I had created a bootable usb stick with unetbootin and everything installed well. But the system was corrupted with the incident and after doing an nvram. I specify that I am under Bigsur with Opencore 0.8.9. So what is now, I have difficulty installing win10, yet I proceed in the same way. the bootable usb stick works, I launch and begin to install, delete the partitions of the SSD and let this volume space empty, so I select this volume and put next, then I always receive the message "windows could not prepare the computer to start in the following sentence the installation. to install Windows restart the installation program", I tried several iso and still nothing, I have a 32gb usb key, formatted in GPT and MAC-DOS FAT, any ideas?

mohnumber7

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 20, 2020
Montréal
EDITED !! I've followed one method form the forum and it works !! from Enricote .

FINAL PROCEDURE TO RUN INDEPENDANT SSD DISK WIN 10 WITH OPENCORE

The procedure is the direct installation of win10 from PC, TESTED AND IT WORKS with Opencore bootmenu picker!!

1 - Formatting your SATA drive in your cMP using Disk Utility in ExFAT format
2 - Remove it from your cMP and use your USB caddy to mount it in your PC windows computer.
3 - Start RUFUS.
4 - Load Windows 10 ISO in your PC. Download it from Microsoft website in your Mac.
5 - List USB Hard Drives” and select your USB SATA drive
6 - Select “WINDOWS TO GO” image option
7 - GPT” Partition scheme
8 - UEFI (non CSM)” Target system
9- Start the proccess. It lasts a few minutes
10 - Unplug your USB caddy, remove the SATA drive and install it again in you cMP
11 - Start your cMP in Opencore. You should see your Windows in the OpenCore BootPicker. So you can choose it and start a straight and fast windows installation in that HD. Use Windows BootPicker option everytime installation needs to reboot.

It works, and it’s the most stable installation from the previous I’ve made 3 yers ago.

12 - OPTIONAL : in you need bootcamp drivers :
With Windows 10 installed you will need to activate it for installing Apple Drivers. Boot Camp 5 and 6 for Windows are not compatible. I used this not difficult procedure (“Brigadier”):

Thanks to Enricote from Macrumors.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.