Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sylvie.petit

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 8, 2017
When I upgraded my MacBook Pro to High Sierra, the Microsoft product icons are marked as “?” and I am not able to run MS office on my Mac. Did I lose the icons only? Please help me with the immediate solution as I need to do some important tasks.

poi ran

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2014
Scandinavia

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I had MS Office 2011 on my MBA with Sierra. I ran the update to High Sierra and I have not encountered any problems running office apps.

Are you able to launch any office applications from a Finder window?

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
are they just missing from the dock?? go into your Applications folder; is microsoft office there? find the apps, drag them onto the dock. otherwise, poi ran's post above....

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
DISCLAIMER:
I'm not [much of] an Office user and haven't tried the following (just relating what I've read elsewhere).

I seem to recall reading that Office '11 -does not run- in High Sierra IF the internal drive has been converted to APFS.

However, it runs ok IF the internal drive remains at HFS+.

Could this be the OP's problem?

Also, the suggestion to try opening the files using LibreOffice is a good one.

green86

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2007
North Carolina
DISCLAIMER:
I'm not [much of] an Office user and haven't tried the following (just relating what I've read elsewhere).

I seem to recall reading that Office '11 -does not run- in High Sierra IF the internal drive has been converted to APFS.

However, it runs ok IF the internal drive remains at HFS+.

Could this be the OP's problem?

Also, the suggestion to try opening the files using LibreOffice is a good one.

A simple google search would have yielded this:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/17...r-mac-2011-behind-2016-edition-needs-updating

In short it works, but not well. And DOES NOT explain the OP's disappearing apps.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
A simple google search would have yielded this:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/17...r-mac-2011-behind-2016-edition-needs-updating

In short it works, but not well. And DOES NOT explain the OP's disappearing apps.
It should be noted that Office 2011 does seem to work well for most users on High Sierra, according to reports. In fact, in the MacRumors software compatibility thread for High Sierra, Office 2011 is simply listed as working. Furthermore, if you want 100% compatibility, you can run Office 2011 and 2016 on the same machine. They don't affect each other.

The one issue with Office 2011 I've noticed is that a couple of times upon first launch of Excel, if you try to close the window using the red close button at the top left, it may not work. Closing using the File menu works fine though. But in limited testing, I haven't noticed it being significantly more crashy in High Sierra.

I'm using 2016 though on my main machines since it's officially supported and will continue to get updates, and because it has cloud support. It's way more bloated though. It takes up around 8 GB and is slower to load. On my older machines I mostly have Office 2011, mainly because because I don't have 2016 licences for them, but also because Word 2011 and Excel 2011 are faster to load. On a modern machine, the slowness of Office 2016 is tolerable, but on an old machine with a slow SSD, it's really noticeable. PowerPoint with the theme menu is faster to load in 2016 though.

I see that AppleInsider had problems with 2011. It could be that they use different functionality than I do as my Office needs aren't heavy, but it could also be because they were testing early High Sierra betas. That article was from mid-June. Lots of things were problematic with High Sierra betas from back then. The High Sierra betas didn't really become very usable IMO until August.

Last edited:

green86

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2007
North Carolina
I see that AppleInsider had problems with 2011. It could be that they use different functionality than I do as my Office needs aren't heavy, but it could also be because they were testing early High Sierra betas. That article was from mid-June. Lots of things were problematic with High Sierra betas from back then. The High Sierra betas didn't really become very usable IMO until August.

If you read that whole post, you'll see I was only quoting AppleInsider because Fishrrman was referencing it in his post. Like I said, either way it doesn't explain Office apps disappearing. We will need more info from OP.

SoCalReviews

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2012
I upgraded to High Sierra 10.13 on my Macbook Pro 13" 2012. It's running MS Office Home and Business 2011 with Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Outlook. I kept my MS Office 2011 fully updated with the latest updates for MS Updater and Office versions. At the time I post this it says I am currently using MS Office 14.7.7. I haven't noticed any Office related problems so far after the HS update. My 2012 MBP has the original spinning hard disk drive with what I assume is still HSF+.

It might be that you need the latest MS Office 2011 updates to retain functionality with High Sierra. Anyone experiencing problems with a previous install due to not having the latest updates might want to try to download from MS and install the latest MS Office 2011 for Mac installer/downloader and updater for use with High Sierra.

I am curious about the comment in this thread saying you could run MS Office 2016 for Mac side by side along with MS Office 2011 for Mac without conflicts. I am wondering if that really is true because I would consider adding MS Office 2016 for Mac if that is the case since I really don't want to lose functionality of MS Office 2011 for Mac since I like this version very much. I read that MS is ending support for MS Office 2011 for Mac this month (10/11/2017).

Last edited:

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I am curious about the comment saying you could run MS Office 2016 for Mac side by side along with MS Office 2011 for Mac without conflicts. I am wondering if that really is true because I would consider adding MS Office 2016 for Mac if that is the case since I really don't want to lose functionality of MS Office 2011 for Mac since I like this version very much. I read that MS is ending support for MS Office 2011 for Mac this month (10/11/2017).
https://support.office.com/en-us/ar...Mac-2011-54d90646-a645-4c82-8e21-e4c4bb43011c

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I think I'm going to do it... run 2011 along with 2016 at least on my 2012 MBP. Thanks for the suggestion. MS still supports 2016 for Mac for a while. Hopefully it doesn't effect Office file access.
This may be obvious but I'll mention it anyway:

When I installed 2016, it became the default applications for all Office files. If you just click on the documents, it will load in 2016. To load files in 2011 you need to specifically right click and choose 2011 or open them from the File menu in 2011.

Reactions: SoCalReviews

SoCalReviews

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2012
This may be obvious but I'll mention it anyway:

When I installed 2016, it became the default applications for all Office files. If you just click on the documents, it will load in 2016. To load files in 2011 you need to specifically right click and choose 2011 or open them from the File menu in 2011.
Ok... so it does effect default access to the files but not effect or prevent 2011 access due to any type of conversion. Great info to know. Thanks again. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.