Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trinsic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2021
Does anyone know what causes data loss in Apple Photo after a macOs update?
I recently updated to Catalina and lost about 5000 photos in a specific date rate 2018-2019. I had thought I had a time machine backup, but Time machine failed to backup the data, due to the external drive running out of space and I did not get a notification on for some reason.

Below is the following I have tried so far to locate the missing photos. I finally scanned a raw image of my system disk using data recovery software and found some of the photos during that period, but they were corrupted:

• Cloned System to External Storage (For Data Recovery Analysis)
  • MacOS First Aid on Disk: No problems on disk.
  • MacOS Photo Library Repair: After the repair, I scanned for the missing block of photos in Apple Photo using the advanced search tool, and did a visual inspection by scrolling though the library, but was unable to find the missing photos.
  • Photo App Library Container Analysis: I opened up the Apple Photo container in finder but was unable to find the missing block of photos.
  • Data Recovery Scan of Clone: found some missing photos but they were corrupted
  • Time Machine Backup Analysis: Backup either was prevented from backing up Photo App Library, or Time Machine was prevented from making backups entirely after a certain point due to low disk space on the external? Did not check the logs yet. Their was a backup of the Photo Library but it was before the time of the loss.
  • Checked for lost files in /Library/SystemMigration/History/MigrationUUID/QuarantineRoot/ as a site suggest that the upgrade might store photos in that location during the upgrade.

Can anyone suggest to me either of the following: 1. A better location to ask for help (If Macrumors is not the place to ask), 2. Does anyone know why this would happen and what situation might cause it, and 3. Did I miss any steps that could result in a successful recovery of the lost photos.

The hardware is: iMac 27-Inch "Core i5" 3.3 (5K, Late 2015) - A1419 (EMC 2834)

Thank you for your time in responding in advance.

Reactions: roxlives

roxlives

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2021
I've had the same issue with High Sierra. Would like to find a remedy for this issue. Thank you for this post, I'll be watching for responses.

trinsic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2021
So nobody as a guess or any information as to why there is loss of data durring the macOS Catalina update?

roxlives

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2021
So nobody as a guess or any information as to why there is loss of data durring the macOS Catalina update?
There is a very simple action that worked for me. Press option> command> Photos> (all at once) repair> (repair fly out appears).
This seemed to be too easy, but, did work for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.