Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChrisM28

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2008
Hope someone can solve this annoying puzzle for me.
Took raw+JPEG files on hols with Sony A700, forgot camera to mac USB connector so bought card reader which I used to put the pics in iphoto every night to admire.
Back from hols I took the pics off the mac on a memory stick and took them to PC which is where I have PhotoshopCS3 (can't afford two copies) Instead of DSC2345.ARW and DSC2345.jpg I've got DSC2345 2.jpg and DSC2345.jpg. The file size is right for a RAW file but opening it in RAW I haven't got access to WB controls so it's being treated as a JPEG by Photoshop.

Any ideas anybody??

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Took raw+JPEG files on hols with Sony A700, forgot camera to mac USB connector so bought card reader which I used to put the pics in iphoto every night to admire.
Back from hols I took the pics off the mac on a memory stick and took them to PC which is where I have PhotoshopCS3 (can't afford two copies) Instead of DSC2345.ARW and DSC2345.jpg I've got DSC2345 2.jpg and DSC2345.jpg. The file size is right for a RAW file but opening it in RAW I haven't got access to WB controls so it's being treated as a JPEG by Photoshop.

Any ideas anybody??

Step one when you have a problem: Backup everything.
Yes put the memory stick away. Backup the files on the PC and the Mac. Put the backups some place out of reach.

You are asking us to solve a PC problem for you? Kind of the wrong forum for that.

The root of the problem here is that without knowing it you've likey make some kind of error. There is something you didn't know and you aren't going to be able to tell us. You are going to have to write up what you did in exact detail. Maybe even shoot a few more frames and go through the entire process again and take notes as you go. But remember step one -- backup.

Adobe will let you transfer your copy of PS CS3 to the Mac at no cost. Give their customer number a call. You might have to pay eight or ten bucks for a physical CD if you can't download the Mac software. Once you have moved PS CS3 your problem becomes moot.

Are the raw files on your Mac?

"Treated as a JPEG by Photoshop." No, It is either raw or jpg. If it were on a Mac I could tell you how to know for sure what you have.

disdat

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2005
New England USA
How are you transporting them from the mac to the thumb drive?

If you are exporting from iPhoto, it is probably converting to .jpg

Try going into Finder, and to the iPhoto 08 file.

Right click to show package contents, then navigate to the original folder and the specific folder where your raw files are.

See if you can drag & drop the files from there.

Oh and I agree, Adobe will allow a cross platform transfer. You have to sign a document stating that the Windows version will be uninstalled, and all disks destroyed. It should cost you shipping. I would do it quickly before the new version comes out, then you will be required to pay the upgrade cost.

TimJim

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2007
Try finding the original file of the import from your memory card to the computer. If you exported/copied the photos from iPhoto to be edited in Photoshop both will become the same quality Jpeg.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska

Any ideas anybody??

If you used iPhoto to download the pictures from the memory card, iPhoto should have made a JPEG copy of the original JPEG images, and also another JPEG copy from the original RAW images, leaving all the original photos alone in a folder named "Originals." Look for the original photos in the "Originals" folder created by iPhoto the day you downloaded the photos.

ChrisM28

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2008
Lost Raw files

Thanks everyone - I think the problem was that I didn't use iphoto I just dragged and dropped from the compact flash card. I'll do as suggested and replicate the problem making notes.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Thanks everyone - I think the problem was that I didn't use iphoto I just dragged and dropped from the compact flash card. I'll do as suggested and replicate the problem making notes.
You can also use PSE6, Graphic Converter, iPhoto, and a few other applications to download your photos. Just connect the camera or card reader to your computer first and wait for it to appear on the screen, then launch PSE6 or Graphic Converter. It does not matter with iPhoto, since it launches automatically when you connect the camera to the computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.