Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

keybraker

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2011
Greece
I was installing windows 10 on my mar 13 and halfway through the process it stopped. Know that I go to Disk Utility the SDD is complete 250gb but my macOS partition is 100gb as I told bootcamp and the other space is recovery. When I try to create a new partition it fails.
/dev/disk0 (internal):

#: TYPE NAME SIZE. IDENTIFIER
0: GUID_partition_scheme 251.0 GB disk0
1: EFI EFI 314.6 MB disk0s1
2: Apple_CoreStorage Macintosh HD 99.4 GB disk0s2
3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 151.3 GB disk0s3

How to I get the space back?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-12-26 at 12.47.29 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-12-26 at 12.47.29 AM.png
    189 KB · Views: 491
  • Screen Shot 2017-12-26 at 12.47.40 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-12-26 at 12.47.40 AM.png
    234.8 KB · Views: 335
  • Screen Shot 2017-12-26 at 12.47.49 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-12-26 at 12.47.49 AM.png
    463.1 KB · Views: 358

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Run your Boot Camp assistant.
It should give you the choice to remove the boot camp partition, restoring your drive to the original configuration.

The failed Win10 install may have borked that partition. If your Boot Camp assistant does NOT give you the choice to remove the windows partition, then you may need to backup your boot drive to an external, reformat, reinstall, and restore your files from the backup.

keybraker

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2011
Greece
I did it and it wouldn't let me saying there was a problem, and than I went into recovery mode, deleted everything reinstalled Mac OS, and now bootcamp tells me to install windows and partition the 99gb hard drive :(

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I did it and it wouldn't let me saying there was a problem, and than I went into recovery mode, deleted everything reinstalled Mac OS, and now bootcamp tells me to install windows and partition the 99gb hard drive :(

The thing is that Core Storage, a container around your macOS partition, is what your Mac actually sees. Since Core Storage only has the 99GB to work with after it was shrunk, you can't make any partition outside of that or use the full space. You need to go back into Recovery, open a Terminal window, and resize the Core Storage container
diskutil cs resizeStack LVUUID size

is your magical command here. In size you can use 0g for the full disk.

Way more details here:
https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/154964/resizing-or-expanding-a-corestorage-volume

Reactions: keybraker

keybraker

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2011
Greece
The thing is that Core Storage, a container around your macOS partition, is what your Mac actually sees. Since Core Storage only has the 99GB to work with after it was shrunk, you can't make any partition outside of that or use the full space. You need to go back into Recovery, open a Terminal window, and resize the Core Storage container
diskutil cs resizeStack LVUUID size

is your magical command here. In size you can use 0g for the full disk.

Way more details here:
https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/154964/resizing-or-expanding-a-corestorage-volume

I tried what you said, but typing resizeVolume instead of resizeStack, is it may have bean renamed, it tells me :
Disk is a Core Storage Logical Vlome (use a diskutil coreStorage verb instead to resize)

_Kiki_

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2017
from terminal diskutil | format Apple_Boot Recovery HD 151.3 GB disk0s3, create new partition on this space (Journaled), after that delete this partition and resize Apple_CoreStorage Macintosh HD 99.4 GB disk0s2 to full space

keybraker

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2011
Greece
from terminal diskutil | format Apple_Boot Recovery HD 151.3 GB disk0s3, create new partition on this space (Journaled), after that delete this partition and resize Apple_CoreStorage Macintosh HD 99.4 GB disk0s2 to full space

What command should I give ?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
This thread looks very similar to your situation, and should have the help that you need to resize (maybe another reformat!)
Your missing space is in your recovery system. So, booting to recovery to reformat/reinstall won't help.
_Kiki_ terminal command above may do the trick, too, not sure about the process listed there, however.

Reactions: Weaselboy

keybraker

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2011
Greece
This thread looks very similar to your situation, and should have the help that you need to resize (maybe another reformat!)
Your missing space is in your recovery system. So, booting to recovery to reformat/reinstall won't help.
_Kiki_ terminal command above may do the trick, too, not sure about the process listed there, however.

I know, thats why I made a bootable usb, from which I booted.
[doublepost=1514247751][/doublepost]I litterally have no clue what I did. I entered:
diskutil cs revert disk0s2
and than went and erased the ssd, and it finally let me do it !

The problem, now is that I don't have a recovery partition, and all the storage
is taken from Macintosh HD, is there a way to create a partition ?
Or will Mac OS makcreatee it upon install?

Last edited:

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
You did say (Post #3) that you booted to recovery, and did an erase. You can erase the boot volume, but I don't think you can modify the recovery system while you are booted to it, and THAT does not recover the missing space from the recovery partition, as you discovered.
SO, you should be able to discover the correct commands in the thread that I linked above.
You want to resize the recovery partition, then resize your boot partition with the retrieved space.
MY suggestion would be to delete the recovery system entirely, then use that space to add to the boot partition.
You can always recreate the recovery system at a later time. (it is not so necessary when you have a USB installer that you can keep handy)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.