Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

firehat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2015
My iPad is running iPadOS 16 and isn't managing storage well. I needed to clear up a chunk and the biggest slice was messages. Messages (nite the setting is not under iCloud) was set to keep everything forever. I changed it to 30 days and it warned me it would delete things older on my DEVICE. turns out that's an iCloud setting and it nuked my iPhone's copies too. I've lost years of messages that I really wanted to keep, including message traffic during the week my son was born and my wife was in the hospital and threads with late friends.

I am livid and upset. I posted this in iOS because the consequences are on my phone. Does anyone know of any way to retrieve these? They aren't in recently deleted and iCloud doesn't have an obvious folder.

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
Is there anything in the new "Recently Deleted" folder? I don't have an iPad but on the phone you click "Filters" top-left to see it.

Note that if you have messages sync'd to iCloud then it will delete across devices (as you've just discovered!). The warning message you get when you change the "Keep" setting is wrong. That's bad. I'll log a Feedback thingy.

Last edited:

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I don’t think there’s a way to recover something deleted on iCloud.

Maybe if you have a Mac or other device that’s not connected to the Internet, it still might be on there but as soon as that device connects to the Internet it’s going to sync.

ManuCH

macrumors 65832
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
Contact Apple support. I've heard that they are able to restore your whole iCloud to a previous state of a certain day. They only do that in serious cases where you lose all your photos or messages, but they seem to be able to do it. Don't lose time though, as I have no idea for how long they keep those backups.

Reactions: firehat

firehat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2015
Apple support says they can't restore the messages alone. I'd have to reset to factory settings and restore from a backup

golfnut1982

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2014
Chicago, IL
do you have a MacBook and use iMessage or have an iPad backup? if you do, then you should have a copy of the messages saved in the Mac iMessage database and in the iPad backup. for this to work though, the messages app cannot be synced to the cloud though on your Mac and iPad, basically saved locally - like you said iPad was until recently. if it was saved in iCloud they were nuked there too (which you confirmed happened). there is a way to get them back if you do from your Mac or your iPad backup. if you have that, then you can restore them from you Mac or iPad. once restored, then switch to messages in iCloud - they should then sync everywhere again. but remember to not sync all sources to the cloud.

Reactions: firehat
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.