Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pili

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2005
Orlando/Miami, FL
Here are a couple pics trying out some low light shots. Although I have an sb800 I focused on getting some shots without the flash to not interrupt their performance but this situation is where I really wish I had a better body that handles a higher iso better. Both shots were hand held using the 50mm f/1.8 on a D50, let me know what you think.

Exposure: 0.008 sec (1/125)
Aperture: f/1.8
Focal Length: 50 mm
ISO Speed: 1600

Exposure: 0.02 sec (1/50)
Aperture: f/1.8
Focal Length: 50 mm
ISO Speed: 800

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
They look good for pushing it to the limit, but both appear underexposed to my eyes.

If you have access to Photoshop, try playing with Levels and Curves to bring up the brightness without making the noise too visible.

Also - kinda inexpensive solutions to your low light predicament. If you don't want to use the flash, you could pick up a nikkor 50mm f1.4 AIS (manual focus) which will give you slightly more headroom. They cost ~$100 for a nice copy so you wouldn't lose too much over your 50 1.8.

Or, for about a thousand bucks more, pick up a D300 and shoot ISO 6400!

Pili

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2005
Orlando/Miami, FL
Thanks, Ive been trying to work with them a bit in Aperture but increasing the brightness much more makes the noise really bad in the shadows. Luckily I actually will be able to shoot with a D300 for the rest of the summer so if i ever come across this situation again im sure i will have better results!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.