Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple Knowledge Navigator

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 28, 2010
I've set up a nice shortcut on my menu bar that can enable/disable Low Power mode - this is on a 14" M1 Pro 8/14 MBP.

Screenshot 2022-10-05 at 10.36.28.png

I was wondering what your experiences are of using this mode and if the improvements to battery life make it worth using regularly. It's easy enough for me to enable it when I'm willing to make compromises (e.g. web browsing, editing documents), but I've no idea how it translates into battery life savings.

Thanks in advance!

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
Unless you are terrible at managing your OS and let hundreds of program’s run wild then you’re reaching OCD levels with low power mode. It’s simply a way for the OS to reduce a lot of background tasks, reduce display characteristics such as brightness/promotion, and even throttle or reduce the use of performance cores.

Genuinely no reason to manually use it with Apple’s chip efficiency these days.

Apple Knowledge Navigator

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 28, 2010
Unless you are terrible at managing your OS and let hundreds of program’s run wild then you’re reaching OCD levels with low power mode. It’s simply a way for the OS to reduce a lot of background tasks, reduce display characteristics such as brightness/promotion, and even throttle or reduce the use of performance cores.

Genuinely no reason to manually use it with Apple’s chip efficiency these days.
Great, thanks for the reply!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.