Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

critter13

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 23, 2010
i have done some searching on this topic but havent found many recent conversations around it. Is anyone successfully using their iPhone cell data to stream content then airplaying it to ATV without an existing network? I know there is peer to peer airplay support but i am having trouble using netflix for example on LTE and air playing it to ATV. it just spins and spins when i try to airplay. thoughts?

benjitek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
AirPlay requires WiFi -- Plex will stream over any data connection. There is a Netflix app for the ATV, so no need for AirPlay :)

critter13

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 23, 2010
AirPlay requires WiFi -- Plex will stream over any data connection. There is a Netflix app for the ATV, so no need for AirPlay :)
i don't think you understand. imagine i am somewhere where there is no wifi network but i have an appleTV and a TV. I am trying to stream netflix on my iPhone over LTE then airplay that to the appleTV via Peer to Peer wifi(which is supported on the apple tv).

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
i don't think you understand. imagine i am somewhere where there is no wifi network but i have an appleTV and a TV. I am trying to stream netflix on my iPhone over LTE then airplay that to the appleTV via Peer to Peer wifi(which is supported on the apple tv).
That could eat up a lot of Data. Have you tried to setting up a WiFi Hot Spot on your iPhone then connect to it via the Apple TV Wifi? Then just use the Netflix App on the Apple Tv. I think I tied it once when my Internet was down but it did not work well but I did not spend much time on it.

critter13

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 23, 2010
That could eat up a lot of Data. Have you tried to setting up a WiFi Hot Spot on your iPhone then connect to it via the Apple TV Wifi? Then just use the Netflix App on the Apple Tv. I think I tied it once when my Internet was down but it did not work well but I did not spend much time on it.
this isn't to replace home broadband its a mobile solution for special occasions, think tailgating. mobile hotspot would work but also cost extra and i am on a grandfathered unlimited plan so i was hoping to try to leverage my iPhone data that i am already paying for.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
this isn't to replace home broadband its a mobile solution for special occasions, think tailgating. mobile hotspot would work but also cost extra and i am on a grandfathered unlimited plan so i was hoping to try to leverage my iPhone data that i am already paying for.
I understand. I was thinking of maybe a small wifi router but the problem is your iPhone would not work since it would try to pull data from Wifi instead of LTE while connected to Wifi. Good Luck.

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
it was my understanding that an apple tv does not need to be connected to any wifi router for an iPhone to be able to see it and to stream to it. and there is no need to set up any connections beforehand.

leave wifi on the iPhone but forget the wifi network. your iPhones bluetooth will find the apple tv and then tell it to automagically establish a wifi connection between the both of them for airplay.
there is no need to do any "p2p" or "adhoc" connection beforehand

https://physedagogy.com/2014/09/25/...-apple-tv-to-mirror-your-device-without-wifi/

critter13

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 23, 2010
it was my understanding that an apple tv does not need to be connected to any wifi router for an iPhone to be able to see it and to stream to it. and there is no need to set up any connections beforehand.

leave wifi on the iPhone but forget the wifi network. your iPhones bluetooth will find the apple tv and then tell it to automagically establish a wifi connection between the both of them for airplay.
there is no need to do any "p2p" or "adhoc" connection beforehand

https://physedagogy.com/2014/09/25/...-apple-tv-to-mirror-your-device-without-wifi/

the key thing is using LTE data and air playing . i will try priitv8 suggestion

Spyderweb122

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2014
Manitoba, Canada
You wouldn't happen to have a Lightning to Digital AV Adapter would you? This could work for you for those just in case moments. Basically plug your phone directly into the TV.

pacmania1982

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2006
Birmingham, UK
Wouldn't it be better to turn on the personal hotspot on your iPhone and then use the Netflix app to stream content directly? Surely that would negate the need for airplay? If you what to stream locally from the iPhone to the Apple TV, you can do this without WiFi

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
Wouldn't it be better to turn on the personal hotspot on your iPhone and then use the Netflix app to stream content directly? Surely that would negate the need for airplay? If you what to stream locally from the iPhone to the Apple TV, you can do this without WiFi
I actually already ask the OP about that. The OP is using a Grandfathered Unlimited Data Plan which does not support Hot Spot.

frankdogg

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2011
253, WA
I've used my Apple TV (3rd gen) in my Sienna. The only ways I've successfully done anything was 1) enable hotspot and connect it that way but that isn't an option for you. 2) you can airplay to the apple tv but you'll have to choose the "mirroring" from your iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.