Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rcorai

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2011
Argentina
Before the last update my phone was showed me LTE signal. Since the last update it shows 4G. Is there any difference between both or is the same?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Before the last update my phone was showed me LTE signal. Since the last update it shows 4G. Is there any difference between both or is the same?
Depends on how your carrier treats it. In US at least carriers like AT&T and T-Mobile have what they call "4G" (at least on iOS devices) that is not LTE, and LTE is something that's separate/different. In many other parts of the world on the other hand, 4G usually means LTE.

Reactions: magicMac

rcorai

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2011
Argentina
Weird thing is that I use to see LTE and after the last update it shows 4g. I though it was a change on iOS or maybe I forgot to enable LTE support.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Weird thing is that I use to see LTE and after the last update it shows 4g. I though it was a change on iOS or maybe I forgot to enable LTE support.
Could be that your carrier updated settings basically. Hard to know for sure without you comparing to some others with the same carrier and/or talking to your carrier perhaps.

Chazzle

macrumors 68020
Jul 17, 2015
It is possible that you need to enable LTE on your phone. Check in Settings under Cellular, then Cellular Data Options. There should be an option for enabling LTE. However, like @C DM was alluding to, it's hard to know without having your specific carrier on our phones.

Yun0

macrumors 68000
Jun 12, 2013
Winnipeg, Canada
I wish the US carriers would show 4G instead of LTE...and go back to 3G for HSPA+

thats what happens when theres no "standard" like 3g has. in canada we call it "4G LTE", just "LTE" is displayed.

much like pc motherboards, every brand lists the same bios settings in their own alien lingo...

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Depends on how your carrier treats it. In US at least carriers like AT&T and T-Mobile have what they call "4G" (at least on iOS devices) that is not LTE, and LTE is something that's separate/different. In many other parts of the world on the other hand, 4G usually means LTE.

Yep

Vodafone here in Australia brand it as "4G" Its just a naming not a technology change.

I don't care if its a standard but many probably do care.. particularly when traveling .., but if its works as expected, who cares whats its called.

WaruiKoohii

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2015
Boston
4G is just 3G, so your phone isn't connecting to LTE for some reason.

When I updated to iOS 10.3.2 Beta 2, my phone stopped connecting to LTE. I had to toggle airplane mode to fix it...rebooting didn't work.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
4G is just 3G, so your phone isn't connecting to LTE for some reason.

When I updated to iOS 10.3.2 Beta 2, my phone stopped connecting to LTE. I had to toggle airplane mode to fix it...rebooting didn't work.
Well, 4G is used for some 3G networks in some places (like US), but it's not that way throughout the world where 4G is mostly (and more appropriately) used for LTE.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.