Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Burleigh Boy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2010
S E Queensland Australia
Hi, I am having trouble removing Lunaticake which changes your search engines etc without the users authority. Even though it comes with an 'install' folder - which has no effect. Any help appreciated.

thomasareed

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2015
Lunaticake is a variant of the Genieo malware.

I hate to come on here and push my own product, but it's free, so I don't feel TOO guilty. :) Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac will detect and remove all the components of that:

https://malwarebytes.com/mac

Note that you'll have to fix your browser's home page and search engine settings afterwards, as the malware will have changed those.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I'd be critical of the self-promotion, except... MalwareBytes Anti-Malware for Mac is truly an awesome product, nothing available equals it in ease of use & capability (plus the price is right!)

thomasareed

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2015
I'd be critical of the self-promotion, except...

Yeah, it's become awkward to answer questions like these. I've been an active participant of forums on topics like this for years, but now that I'm at Malwarebytes, there's that perceived conflict of interest. I usually would sit back and let others answer, but this one had gone unanswered for a couple days.

Thanks for the praise of the product!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.