Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aevan

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
On my OLED TV, the OLED Light (equivalent to iPad’s brightness, despite its name) is set to maximum, because that is what is recommended. HDR10 and Dolby Vision content is tone mapped from darkest to brightest areas and the maximum brightness ensures highlights get bright while darks stay dark.

Setting the brightness to maximum on the latest 12.9” iPads now does the same - the blacks don’t get more gray and colors do pop more. Still, I find it a bit weird to set it at maximum when watching movies at night. Since Apple cranks up the brightness for DV and HDR10 content, the difference is not as dramatic - still, the highlights do pop a bit more on maximum.

So, how do you watch DV/HDR10 content?

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I find 100% too bright. In a dark room, 25-30% still gives me very bright highlights. Bright enough that I wince when there are lightning effects and stuff.

aevan

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
I find 100% too bright. In a dark room, 25-30% still gives me very bright highlights. Bright enough that I wince when there are lightning effects and stuff.

I get that, though I actually like when I need to wince because I think “technology is awesome!” every time ;) I’m weird.

Reactions: sparksd

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
On my OLED TV, the OLED Light (equivalent to iPad’s brightness, despite its name) is set to maximum,

Not sure what setting you are referring to. On my LG there are various picture modes. The most accurate reproduction is cinema mode, which is much darker than the brightest setting (vivid, I think?). Colors are quite different as you change modes. This assumes a calibrated display.

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
My Sony OLED TV automatically goes into brightest settings (I think) when HDR content is detected. From looking at HDR videos on the 2021 iPad Pro 12.9 it almost seems like it does, too.

johntw

macrumors regular
May 29, 2016
On my OLED TV, the OLED Light (equivalent to iPad’s brightness, despite its name) is set to maximum, because that is what is recommended. HDR10 and Dolby Vision content is tone mapped from darkest to brightest areas and the maximum brightness ensures highlights get bright while darks stay dark.

Setting the brightness to maximum on the latest 12.9” iPads now does the same - the blacks don’t get more gray and colors do pop more. Still, I find it a bit weird to set it at maximum when watching movies at night. Since Apple cranks up the brightness for DV and HDR10 content, the difference is not as dramatic - still, the highlights do pop a bit more on maximum.

So, how do you watch DV/HDR10 content?
Max is blindingly bright. Usually at 50% or less for me with average ambient light. And since I usually watch films in dimly lit to dark rooms, I sometimes have the brightness as low as zero.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.