Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rainboots124

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2023
i know this is asked a lot and i have read many reddit posts and others that havent been conclusive for my situation.

recently by 2015 air 8gb ram (bought 2015) is reaching its end. i thought it was to a point of nearly unusable because of the overheating. i was wrong because after 5 days of using a 2019 air 8gb ram, it cannot handle nearly what the 2015 did.

lacking a good sense of the topic, im going to give my specifics-
basically, will the 2020 m1 with 8gb PRO be able to handle the following:
- 1 browser window watching twitch streams or other videos
- 1 browser window with 2 tabs, a google sheets tab and a google docs (approx 100 page doc)
- discord app open
- (god forbid i open the freeform app, that one kills everything)

all without overheating or sounding like a wind tunnel after 10 minutes?
16gb isnt in my budget at the moment and want to know if the m1 8gb is truly more sufficient than the dual core i5 in the '19 air (or even the '15)

thanks!

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2017
i know this is asked a lot and i have read many reddit posts and others that havent been conclusive for my situation.

recently by 2015 air 8gb ram (bought 2015) is reaching its end. i thought it was to a point of nearly unusable because of the overheating. i was wrong because after 5 days of using a 2019 air 8gb ram, it cannot handle nearly what the 2015 did.

lacking a good sense of the topic, im going to give my specifics-
basically, will the 2020 m1 with 8gb PRO be able to handle the following:
- 1 browser window watching twitch streams or other videos
- 1 browser window with 2 tabs, a google sheets tab and a google docs (approx 100 page doc)
- discord app open
- (god forbid i open the freeform app, that one kills everything)

all without overheating or sounding like a wind tunnel after 10 minutes?
16gb isnt in my budget at the moment and want to know if the m1 8gb is truly more sufficient than the dual core i5 in the '19 air (or even the '15)

thanks!

It should be able to handle your use-case. However, have you considered budgeting for a M2 MBA instead? Even an Apple-certified refurbished one?

Reactions: TracerAnalog

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
My M1 MacBook Air is much more powerful than my quad-core i7 for photography and video production that you shouldn't have to worry about a similar machine doing what you need.

I would suggest a refurbished M1 with 16 GB of RAM, if you can afford it. There isn't any way to change the specifications afterward.

okkibs

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2022
Any apple silicon Mac can handle this just fine. The fan on the pro should remain inaudible. 8GiB might limit how long the device remains usable as apps nowadays seem to just gobble up memory.

Reactions: Basic75

ipaqrat

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2017
The workload seems well aligned for an 8 GB device. Modern Chrome got way better managing resources.

Is there a difference in grade of processor between the 2015 MBA (i5 up to 2.7 Ghz, or i7 up to 3.2 Ghz) and the 2019 MBA (i5 only from 1.6 Ghz to 3.6 Ghz)? The condition of the SSD might have a bearing, as NVRAM does wear out over time, and maybe the 2019 had a harder life before you got it. Using external monitors would take a bit more RAM for display driving, compounded by the difference in the Intel's 617 in the 2015, vs Intel's 6000 in 2019.

At the risk of compounding problems, has the 2019 had a clean rebuild? Or at least a scan with Malwarebytes? Had the 2015?

Tangentially, there were some fiendish security vulnerabilities back then, that might profoundly affect performance. With Intel's Core processor chip hardware, malicious code could sneak in through the CPU's predictive instruction branch caching. Those were Spectre (CVE-2017-5753, CVE-2017-5715) and Meltdown (CVE-2017-5754) (There are more similar vulns, even through today.)

The only fix at the time was/is to disable use of CPU's predictive instruction branch caching features. That stomped on performance pretty hard; worse in some cases more than others. Perhaps the 2019 MBA was affected, while the 2015 MBA wasn't (or wasn't patched)? I don't recall a performance change in my MBPs of the time.

An M1 wouldn't be affected by Intel's baggage, but Apple and ARM have plenty of their own.

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
chrome ideally is what i use but willing to suffer with the awful usability of safari.
Chrome is renowned (accurately or not, I don't know) as a memory hog. But much depends on what you are running in each open tab.

You also mentioned the Discord app. This is an Electron based app and so may use a fair chunk of memory - others with direct experience may like to comment.

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
the Air 16 might be worth considering if the price is similar to a 8gb pro

JustAnExpat

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2019
I have a MacBook Air, M1, 8GB.

>- 1 browser window watching twitch streams or other videos
Yep, easily.

>- 1 browser window with 2 tabs, a google sheets tab and a google docs (approx 100 page doc)
Yep, easily

>discord app open

I have no idea what that is, sorry :(

>freeform

Easily.

Of course, more ram is always better, but my M1 is doing great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.