Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rkwan2390

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2021
Hey everyone,

So I just updated from the Monterey Beta 12.0.1 RC to the official 12.0.1 build last night. Everything is working as normal but I noticed a new Process Name called "MessagesBlastDoorServices" and see that it's causing high CPU usage and Energy Impact. They both are above 90 and have no idea what is causing this. I know that the OS could be indexing but I never seen the photos app using up so much energy. I don't even have any photos in the photos.app.

I haven't found any information at all about this process and what it does on Mac. Anyone else experiencing this?

SCR-20211108-vm.png
SCR-20211108-ux.png

SCR-20211108-u9.png

Outer_net

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2021
Hi @rkwan2390

I have been experiencing massive RAM usage for the MessagesBlastDoorService - Apparently it is a secure environment for incoming message to get sanitised of any bad intent - Apple basically improving on the recent issues facing iMessage and the ease at which bad actors could execute code.

I agree with you and think that it is photos being people scanned using the blast door service - see screenshot.

This can easily be tested by disconnecting from power - as the people scanning only takes place when connected to power

For me these 2 processes Blast door and control centre just chew through ram and the longer you go between shutdowns and or the more sleep wake cycle there are then the worst it gets.

I think whatever processes are at fault and irrespective of hardware there is definitely a MacOs fault here and these memory leaks should be getting quietly fixed in an upcoming update.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-11-09 at 09.51.24.png
    Screenshot 2021-11-09 at 09.51.24.png
    61.5 KB · Views: 195
  • Screenshot 2021-11-08 at 13.10.25.png
    Screenshot 2021-11-08 at 13.10.25.png
    90.4 KB · Views: 188

rkwan2390

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2021
Hi @rkwan2390

I have been experiencing massive RAM usage for the MessagesBlastDoorService - Apparently it is a secure environment for incoming message to get sanitised of any bad intent - Apple basically improving on the recent issues facing iMessage and the ease at which bad actors could execute code.

I agree with you and think that it is photos being people scanned using the blast door service - see screenshot.

This can easily be tested by disconnecting from power - as the people scanning only takes place when connected to power

For me these 2 processes Blast door and control centre just chew through ram and the longer you go between shutdowns and or the more sleep wake cycle there are then the worst it gets.

I think whatever processes are at fault and irrespective of hardware there is definitely a MacOs fault here and these memory leaks should be getting quietly fixed in an upcoming update.
Hey Outer_Net,

I appreciate the feedback! When I restart the laptop, it doesn't show up until about an hour later and goes on running until I restart again. What I found is that on battery, the process will still run. I am not currently experiencing the memory leak but seems like it will keep running regardless whether I have photos or not on the photo app.

I went and reverted to Big Sur for now since my battery drain was pretty apparent with this issue as I'm on the go for work. I guess I'll wait for the next Monterey update with more bug fixes to try again.

Amigalander

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2008
I just upgraded to 12.2 from Big Sur and see messagesblastdoorservice using up 1.4GB of ram.

glassDiamond

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2022
I registered here because I came across this thread! I've got MessageBlastDoorService working one core on my M1 MBP and it doesn't want to stop. File a bug report with Apple? 12.2 here as well

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
I just received this issue starting with 12.3 :( Is there any specific action to stop it?

glassDiamond

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2022
I just received this issue starting with 12.3 :( Is there any specific action to stop it?
fwiw I found that shutting the computer down, not just restarting it (just installed 12.3 today) stopped it. YMMV, let me know

williamsevela

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2022
Czechia
Hi guys,

I maybe found the solution.

I didn't even use the Photos.app. I also have apple silicon macbook and I had exactly the same problem. @rkwan2390 Do you have clean macos install or did you recover your data from TimeMachine?

I think in my case there are some mismatch files because of the recovery or something. I tried to kill the process "MessagesBlastDoorServices" but it showed up after few seconds again. So next I tried to delete whole content from the /Users/__YOUR_USERNAME__/Library/Photos/Libraries/Syndication.photoslibrary/scopes/syndication (maybe bad idea but I was really mad - you can backup those files somewhere just in case), then kill the process "MessagesBlastDoorServices" from activity monitor.

Everything seems to be fine now.

Last edited:

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
I signed out of Messages, deleted the ~/Library/Messages folder and Messages cache folder. Restarted the computer, signed back in to Messages and synced from iCloud and the issue has not returned in a week. Hopefully this keeps!

ClaveMan

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2011
Saint Louis
Still happening in MacOS 12.4. Will try the clean up thing.

I do not have privilege to see or access many things under ~/Libary including
~/Library/Messages

foo@MacBook-Pro ~ % find /Users/foo/Library/Messages
/Users/foo/Library/Messages
find: /Users/foo/Library/Messages: Operation not permitted

Is there something I need to check off in the System Preferences ?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.