Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cideeffex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
My M1 Mac Mini started randomly suffering from kernel errors that would reboot the machine 15 seconds after power on. Apple Store wasn’t even able to run any of their usual diagnostics. So they said right away it would be a logic board replacement, covered under warranty, no big deal. When I didn’t hear anything back after 10 days I started to get worried. Finally I tracked someone down who informed me that the logic boards are backordered and they can’t give me any timeline as to when it will be repaired.

Wanted to share this just to give a word of caution to those considering a new purchase and to see if anyone had any advice as to how to deal with this with Apple. I’m understanding for a few more weeks, but at what point does Apple owe me some alternative options? The only one they’ve given me thus far is to buy any new system as a replacement at my cost, but they would waive the return window (assuming I would return it whenever my original Mac is finally repaired). This option doesn’t even make a whole lot of sense to me—if you’re Going to waive a return window, why not waive it on the broken Mac and let me just buy a replacement?

Reactions: na1577

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
All manufacturers are experiencing backlogs as a result of chip shortages. Surely Apple will send your failed board out for repair to then be used to repair another system, I'm not sure why it can't just be sent to be repaired and returned for your system, provided the failed component is not on backorder itself...

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
If your mini is your work machine, ask Apple if they can make an allowance for you to purchase a new machine and return it when your mini is back from repair. I realize it is a long shot but, it won't hurt to politely ask.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.